Do I need to drill cooling holes?

So today I have bought the motor for my Chapter One build, the first electric motor I have ever had, and started to mark out the firewall for the rear mounting.

20170128_144622.jpg

There will be a 40A ESC directly behind this firewall and I have read on these forums of people carefully directing cooling air onto the ESC. But the plans do not show any such cooling holes anywhere in the firewall or battery area. So does such a small power system as I am using need any cooling? And if so, how much?

Advert

Cooling is always advisable, but if the system is running well below it's max ratings (I.e your 40A ESC is not operating at a current >30A at full power) you will probably be ok. Remember though if you do drill holes you need to ensure there are some more of larger diameter in the aft rear fuselage, otherwise the air has nowhere to go.

My (or rather my sons' Chapter One has no cooling holes for the ESC & like yours it's a 40A unit; I think I have around 25A flowing through it at full throttle. It has been absolutely fine with no sign of overheating at all. The ESC lives in the battery bay as you describe & there will be some airflow around it from the prop wash flowing under the battery hatch.

As Matty B sez extra cooling is always desirable but not always practical or necessary.

Enjoy the Chapter One....they fly well...thumbs up