Flair Black Magic Conversion to Brushless Electric

I am not new to the Black Magic. I wanted a vintage model back in 1986 and got one of these kits second hand at my model shop (someone had started building the wings and got bored). I duly built it fitted an OS25FP and had years flying it before I decided to convert it to electric in 1997.

At this point the model was largely unchanged other than to accommodate a Speed 600 on gearbox, modify U/C to fit 7 cell sub-c pack and she flew. I had a number of very pleasant flights which because of weight were marginal on take off but in the air was pleasant. I decided that winter to strip and overhaul the model put it on a diet but retain the same power set up. The model looked the same but flew so much better, and had several more years until a house move and some bad hangar rash saw the model's demise.

Now to the point of this post. I am about to build another Black Magic but aside from being built at the outset for electric I am looking to use a 3S Lipo pack and outrunner brushless set up and wonder what anyone else might have used that works well?

Advert

Hi again Pete,

Your blog was very good I may well end up posting the build of mine. What size prop have you used and what kind of flight time with the 2200's, I am guessing in the order of 8 minutes? I am looking to hit about 10 or 12 minutes which is what I was able to achieve with my old model but I expect a more lively take off and climb performance with brushless. The geared 600 used to fly around nicely on about 2/3 throttle.

Always good to see build blogs here so please do!

I'm unavoidably detained about 500 miles north of my BM at present but I would expect it to be something in the region of a 10x6 or 11x5, IIRC. 8 mins is easily achievable on the 2200 as much of my flight is climb-and-glide, or on tickover throttle to maintain height. With it being a floater, 20 mins airtime isn't difficult to achieve each flight.

I made a fairly tedious video a while back, before I changed the motor for one that ran a little more smoothly. I also doubled the ply on the rear of the bulkhead to try and minimise the vibrations which may have contributed to the noise. I suggest you mute the volume on the video....!smile

Pete