Can't calibrate (Spektrum) TX sticks to PC (Windows 8) ??

Jonathan M

Is there an alternative to using the bizarre and very old-fashioned calibration software on PCs?

Trying to properly calibrate my old DX6i to use on a PC, but the Windows built-in calibration software seems to assume that I've got a kiddie's game-controller. There is no clear correlation between moving the TX sticks and the x-y-z axis displayed on the calibration software, and I can't set any proper full range - with the result, for e.g., that full down elevator is hit on the simulator with the TX stick only half-way up from neutral!

I'm using Picasim and have easily and correctly allocated and calibrated the sticks on that software etc.

(I don't have any such problems using the same TX and Ikarus USB adaptor with Aerofly on my Mac.)

Any pointers?

Cheers

Jon

Advert

Do you Jon?

Plug the DX6i in after computer start up?

Well, the DX6i should be switched off, although the internal battery should be fully charged

The computer should be off

Make the Tx connections by USB to the PC

Then switch the PC on

Try that

Edited By Denis Watkins on 05/03/2017 14:57:14

Hi Denis

What you've described is exactly what I've done. The simulator software allows me to then allocate a control to each stick input, i.e. roll, pitch, yaw and throttle, and calibrate each stick to its full range. This works fine when carefully and properly done, except that the full range for the pitch stick is already achieved when its only half-way up from neutral - any more physical movement makes no change whatsoever. The only way to deal with this is to first pre-calibrate the TX then go back to the simulator calibration.

The problem is that the PC's standard controller calibration software assumes I'm using some completely different (gameboy type?) controller to a standard RC transmitter. It tells me to "move the x-axis control then press a button [to confirm], the y-axis control then press a button [to confirm], the z-axis etc". So I move each stick methodically both ways (up/down then left/right) in turn until the utterly confusing graphic on the calibration screen registers a change or indicates a range of some sort. But then there are no "buttons" to press to confirm each range - flipping any given switch on the TX doesn't count as pressing a button. So the whole exercise is pointless.

Its like ordering off a Chinese takeaway menu in a Tandoori restaurant!

crying

You know what you are doing Jon

The PC is identifying a Joystick, and not a 2 stick controller

I assume the programme is RC Controller compatible

To test Windows 8

Try (free trial) , Google flight sim

Clearview

A free trial I know works with DX6i

And in the process it should upgrade your PC onboard calibrator

Aha! Sounds like the PC doing exactly that Denis.

Picasim is fully RC controller compatible.

Have downloaded Clearview trail and will give it a go after work this evening, and see if I can get the PC's calibrator to work/upgrade.

Indeed, if Clearview does what I need (which is to practice basic IC aerobatics with sufficiently clear visuals and realistic physics, and never mind titting about with plastic electric bombers or the suchlike) then I'll buy the full version.

Clearview's calibration window is a bit cleverer than the generic Windows one - at least it knows I've got a RC transmitter rather than a game-controller.

But, despite calibration, I remain with the same problem of stick-travel being clipped to varying degrees in various axes. I suspect the issue might lie with the Ikarus USB interface, which is optimised for their Aerofly simulator on my Mac.

Best try to find one that is designed for PCs.

Cheers

Jon

PS I've paid for the full version anyway, just over £30, and will play with it further to explore its ability to simulate an IC-powered classic aerobatic model or similar... once I've tried a replacement USB interface!

Edited By Jonathan M on 06/03/2017 19:22:59

Denis - or anyone?! - please point me in the right direction for a suitable generic USB interface cable to plug into the back of a Spektrum TX, which will simply work?

Everything out there seems to be specific to Phoenix or RealFlight or whatever, and I don't want to order something which will give me the same calibration problems as I've experienced with the Ikarus one.

Losing the will and all that...

Thanks Denis, but couldn't find that one available here.

But contacted Simstick who confirmed that their Simlead for £9.99 works fine on its own so ordered one, due to arrive today.

PC is my son's Lenovo Miix 10" tablet/keyboard combo, so Clearview or any other simulator too tiny to see properly, but I've got it connected by HDMI to a 32" screen TV which is great with my office wheelie-chair in front of it.

Next job is will be to find and download a model that approximates to my Acrowot IC.

I'd probably - eventually - want to go for Phoenix or RealFlight, but suspect the RAM, processing-speed and graphic capability of the Lenovo mightn't be up to the job?

Simlead works a treat with both Picasim and Clearview - immediate and proper calibration.

My entire problem was clearly due to using the wrong dongle-lead (Ikarus designed for the Mac AeroFly simulator) with a PC.

Lots of Clearview models there Denis to experiment with... but first, once the fog has lifted, up to field for the real thing!