low amplitude ppm out on Futaba Transmitter

David Tayler

I am trying to interface a TOY-MTX module for flying an EAchine E010 to a Futaba FF9 transmitter. The module works perfectly with my Taranis. The pin out for the Futaba is 1 ppm out 2 V+ 3 RF detect 4 GND 5 RF out.

Taranis is 1 ppm out 2 UART 3 V+ 4GND 5 Sport..

With an oscilloscope between pins 1 and 4 on Futaba the signal is only a few mV and highly differentiated. Can anyone explain or help ,Please.

Advert

David, you are missing my point somewhat! On the face of it - and assuming you are connecting your 'scope straight across the transmitter pins - this looks like a fault in the transmitter. However, that is fairly unlikely, and before ripping the transmitter open, you really want to be sure you are not being misled by a poor connection between the 'scope and Tx.

A faulty connection between the 'scope probe ground and the transmitter would also give the symptoms you describe, and would not be shown by the 'scopes test / calibration point. Hence my question, does the trace change when you remove the ground? (Switchable X1 X10 'scope probes are notorious for this!) If there is no change, then the 'scope connection is faulty.

The final check is does the Tx work OK with its own module? If so, then the Tx is not at fault.

Some modules are very fussy about what you feed them. The Taranis is switchable between +ve and -ve going PPM. I have a feeling it defaults to negative, but its been a while since I changed mine! I think Futaba is positive going (I rarely see Futaba transmitters, and don't have one to check.) Some modules are also fussy about the width of the pulses supplied, but these are very much in a minority. They do still work, but the neutrals shift a bit!

Before you start trying to fix the transmitter, make *really* sure that's where the fault lies!

--

Pete

Good find, Gonzo! A "pull-up" resistor from the PPM output to Vcc may well be needed for this module. I'm still puzzled by the "differentiated" appearance of the pulses, according to the OP. Without a pull-up resistor, you usually see very tiny, but correctly shaped pulses, whereas he is describing spikes where the edges should be.

Also some modules (early FrSky hack modules, for example) could be damaged by having a pull-up, and actually required the opposite - a diode in the line to prevent the voltage rising above the internal (regulated) voltage of the module.

Bob's point about the pins suffering from weak soldering is also very true - especially if a lot of module-swapping has taken place.

But opening up a transmitter can be quite fraught - lots of wires between the front and rear case, switches holding things together, etc - which is why I don't recommend it unless you are *really* convinced that that is where the fault lies!

Check everything else first!

--

Pete

Not a problem with the FF9, just unplug battery and remove before unscrewing and removing back plate. The module pins and the trainer socket are mounted on a sub board that's left with the main body. IIRC there may be a few wires(battery charge socket) but no problems with switches etc.

Dear Peter, Thank you for your further explanation of what you ment by checking the scope to ground connection.I understand now exactly what you meant. As the transmitter works with a FrSky module and is not mine anyway,I wont be opening it in a hurry! I think a pull up resistor will be my first shot this morning.10k for starters.Many thanks to all for their inputs. David

Excellent! The old FM modules tended to have the pull-up in the module, as it formed part of the modulating circuitry. So do many of the 2.4 GHz plug in modules, so that they can work with 35 MHz transmitters. Looks as if your module didn't do this!

Anyway , good result, and well done to Gonzo too for spotting it!

--

Pete