Lindsay Todd's Fred - RCM&E April 2017

Former Member

Advert

I was going from a result thrown up from Google about the Turnigy motor being a replacement.

If its not man enough for the job, its an easy job to change the motor in Fred.

I spent a couple of days scanning, printing and cutting out the parts. I already had lots of lite ply etc, so it cost me nothing apart from some paper and a glue stick.

Posted by Lindsay Todd on 28/03/2017 13:27:58:

Blimey that's quick, super job. I'll check the spec again on my motor, its pulling just under 300watts as I recall, fly's fine but not much reserve to play with. Linds

Thanks Linds..The superb plans and your build diary helped..

I have just been through my wood collection, and I have enough to make another one...Very tempted.lol

For the first couple of flights she came in at 3.2lb without the battery, I have since added a few bits and pieces so probably close to 4lb with battery so that would sound about right. We have the benefit of nice short grass or tarmac so if your around 300 watts let her build up speed and don't pull her off to soon or steeply. Have fun. Will have mine at Wrexham fly in tomorrow.

Linds

Cheers for that Linds..

I'm running mine with a 3s 2.2 and a 9x6 prop, and on the watt meter, its pushing out just shy of 300 watts.

I have however found out, that the motor I'm using will happily turn a 11x7 prop, so I have one on order.

The c.o.g however is out, and she is tail heavy..I tried putting the battery directly behind the motor, and she balances perfectly, so today, I'm going to try and take out the original battery tray, and make a new one to fit inside the cowl cover..Its a nice empty space, so I may as well make use of it..Added advantage, is that I only have to remove the cover, and the battery comes out with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...