Experiments with Micro EDF units

Posted by Gary Manuel on 27/03/2017 23:24:50:

Steve.

Did you try boxing in the gap between the 2 fans to avoid any leakage?

Yes ,

pcfan4.jpg

But the rear blades would have needed a higher pitch to shift the air quicker.

I guess the motor would also have to have a higher Kv too.

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 27/03/2017 23:43:30

Hi,

I have now received My mini Fan from Robot Birds ,

aeofan.jpg

I am surprised just how small it is. I was a little concerned about the weight as the box states that these are light weight fans weighing 40g - 70g.

However after weighing it myself i found it only weights 13g but for the life of me i can not get it to run i have tried to run it on 3 different Esc a 6 amp one which light up and burnt out then a 10 amp which just juddered then a 12 amp which also juddered .

There is no mention as to what size Esc i should use.

If i can get it to work looks just the job,

aeofan2.jpg

The motor is the same physical size as my 1504 motors

Steve

OK, so I have a EDF that does not work.

I re tinned the connection wires but still it would not work.

So my options are send it back or dismantle it and see if I can get it to work .

So I dismantled it voiding any warranty I may have had.

It all looks fine and looks just like my 1504 motors only difference being that the can only has six magnets as opposed to the can of the 1504 which has twelve magnets on.

So I put the can of the 1504 motor onto the EDF motor and it runs although it over runs and stalls out if I increase the speed to much so I tried it with a 3 inch prop on . Boy is that fast and powerful .

So I guess it is wound different .

I then tried the can of the EDF onto the 1504 motor and it will not run so I guess it is a timing issue.

What do you guys think.

Steve

Hi again,

Here are some pictures of my AEO edf and a video,

twocan.jpg

As you can see the A1504 can is the same size as the Edf can but the AEO can only has six magnets with a large spacing.

twomotors.jpg

Also the coils look similar but i think that the AEO is wound differently.

I have ordered the 9000 version i may have better luck with that one . But i may be able to get it to work if i can get a ESC that will drive the motor or i could try adding magnets to the can.
edfmagnets.jpg
edfaddmagnets.jpg
Of coarse i would have to cut the extra magnets down and glue them in place.
Steve

I have had a think about the centrifugal fan i made earlier .

Having put the 1504 can and a 3 inch prop onto the Edf motor it gave me a lot more thrust.

Also that 1504 motor is capable of driving a 7x4 prop.

So if i increase the width of the blades i should get more thrust from the centrifugal fan also if i re-wind the 1504 motor in the same way the Edf motor is wound i should get more rpm out of it.

Steve

Hi, again

I have now managed to get my AEO EDF motor to work after much work.

I carefully removed the shaft from the AEO motor Can then put it onto a 1504 Can it works but again stalls out at high rpm.

So i carefully put it back and removed the motor from the Edf i discovered that the AEO motor is wound in Delta configuration where as the 1504 are wired to Star configuration.

And that the air gap between the stator and the magnets should be between 0.3mm and 0.6mm .

The gap between my stator and the magnets on the 1504 motor is bigger than the AEO motor so i grind down the Magnets on the AEO motor remove all the crap then re-tested.

It now runs and i am getting 72 grams of thrust and it drains the battery in no time at all.

Steve

Hi,

In between work managed to do some tests on my new 9000kv EDF i was surprised just how small the motor is i had to check that it is a 2s motor and it is.

So i have test it and it run 1st time no drama un-like my 1st EDF which burnt out .

The 9000kv version is drawing 4.2 amps and gives me 50 grams of thrust with out any ducting added.

The 130000kv version i had to re wind my self which meant i had the remove to original wire and that is when i discovered the problem . One of the wires was trapped between the Stator and the post on which is was mounted.

I wound a pair of 0.26 mm wire round each post 10 times giving me 20 winds, i tested both star and delta configuration and star gave the best results in regards to start up and running .

i am pulling 5.2 amps and getting 72 grams of thrust from the 130000 kv version.

twinedf.jpg

I would of liked to use the smaller version but after the Air flow being reduced by the Ducting and the air inlets i fear it would not fly too well.

So i made a simple duct reducing from 32 mm down to 23 mm.

edfduct.jpg

This is giving me better thrust.

And so now i can convert my Indoor model .

Steve