Experiments with Micro EDF units

Hi,

I am playing with the idea of making a Ducted fan for my Micro Sipa 200 .

Although the model is already flight proven and can be flown indoors the propeller at the back strikes the floor and so breaks and so not practical .

So fitting a EDF unit would be the next step .

But what if i could make my own .

So i tested my original set-up, which was a 1504 Brushless motor, 12amp Esc,

3 inch prop , Which pulls 12 watts of power but i only need half of that to fly.

siparear.jpg

Steve

Stephen

An interesting idea and I look forward to hearing the result but I fear you will find such a fan remarkably inefficient at shifting air when compared to an axial as in an EDF.

I took a 5" vacuum cleaner fan rotor and coupled it up to a 2700 kV helicopter motor.

Volute diffuser

At some 23000 rpm and 350 W it produced an impressive high velocity air blast but the actual thrust was tiny, about 1/5th, of that the same 350 W produces in a 70 mm EDF.

I appreciate your particular fan is intended as a high volume device where as a vacuum clear is not but I was still surprised just how little thrust is created. It sounded nice though! wink 2

Hi Steve,

Have you thought about making your own EDF? Your workmanship certainly looks like it's up to the task.

I've seen the base of cool drink cans cut and shaped in to fan fins. They make excellent fans/turbines. You have the motors already it just needs a vortex type cowl/duct to concentrate and direct the airflow. Just a thought.

Good luck with the experiment though. Keen to see how it works out.

TP

Hi,

Just done a quick test by resting the fan on top of some scales then i tare it to zero the scale and i am getting 50 g of thrust.

The model weighs in at 100 g Auw with the original gear still in it.

How ever their is a lot of vibration from my fan unit so i will have to take it apart to balance the fan.

So when i have done that i will re test.

Steve

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 23/03/2017 10:43:58:

Stephen, You may have something like one of these already. A 28mm dia. fan and perhaps you could reduce the jet pipe outlet to 24mm to augment the thrust. I don't know if that would be too far out of scale or indeed whether it would produce enough thrust for your model?

Hi Piers,

No i don`t. And i have not seen those before and that looks perfect too.

Thanks for posting,thumbs up

Steve

Hi again,

Thought i had better do some more testing,

So my original set-up on my indoor Sipa is a 3x3 prop on a 1504 brush less motor on a 2s 240ma Lipo battery gives me 54 g of thrust yes i was surprise considering how well it flies on that .

Steve

Sorry forgot to mention how i measured the thrust , Rather that balancing the model on the scales i directed the thrust directly onto the scales by holding the model above the scales.

Edited By Stephen Jones on 23/03/2017 22:59:50

Now that the fan is balance i stuck it back together and re tested .

This time i tried a different way of measuring the thrust, 1st time around i measured the thrust by balancing the motor on top of the scales this time i held the fan above the scales at about the same distance away as when i tested the prop version.

This time although the fan runs very smooth i am only getting 15g of thrust sad.

So i think i will give that to some little girl as a hair drier wink,

Or may be not as i have an other cunning plan.

Steve

Ok ,

So Pc Fans,

In my spare box i found some 50mm fans and a 40mm Fan,

Took both apart and the 50mm Fans will be too big but the 40mm fan looks much more promising.

40mm fan.jpg

40mm fan1.jpg

More pictures to come, But i have stripped the 40mm fan apart and fitted a 1504 motor to the back and as the motor has a long prop shaft that will allow me to fit the fan back in place .

The idea is to make a tube that will reduce the 40mm square fan to a 26mm tube.

Steve

Stephen

As you say 50g thrust should fly a 100g plane well enough but with a centrifugal unit like yours there will be no benefit to the fan from forward motion as there is with an axial unit or a prop for that matter.

I used two of these 35 mm AEO fans in my Canberra.

35 mm AEO EDF As you can see the motor is a relatively huge diameter and when I did the sums to find the actual available area (its quite a bit smaller than the FSA!) and then reduced that area by the recommended 15% the exhaust came out to be just 22 mm diameter!

20p coin exhaustScale size exhausts - the diameter of a 20p coin!

It flies very nicely outdoors on a 2s.

Hobbyking have still smaller AEO fans, 30 mm and 27 mm, although they are out of stock at the moment.

Ok,

So i had a play with 40mm Pc fans,

1st i tried just one Fan,

pcfan1.jpg

It sounded nice and was balanced nice. But when tested only gave me 10g of thrust .

So i then put two fans on the same motor.

pcfan2.jpg

pcfan3.jpg

As expected 8g of thrust what a waste of time. arr well at least it did not cost me anything and it gave me something to play with for a while.

Steve