Disappointing experience with RC-World in Newport.

Not doing much posting these days but plenty of lurking. Martin comes across to me as one of the most level headed and even handed person on this forum as well as frequent contributor. Being hung-up on is the sort of behaviour normally reserved by wives, girlfriends and lovers....! He asks a reasonable question and some of the replies seem to follow a common theme were a thread takes on a life of its own leaving the OP as a bemused bystander.

​Increasingly we seem to live in a world governed by laws and standards. These always set the minimum levels to be achieved and if one choose to operate on these minimum levels, the slightest failure cause a problem. I take the view that simple compliance is not the same as best practice whether it be in manufacturing or a service industry and any damage is usually self-inflicted.

​I have no idea where I heard it but it does appear to be so true along the lines:
​"A good business is not judged by what it does well but how it deals with things when they go wrong"

Advert

Posted by Levanter3 on 24/03/2017 10:25:10:

​Increasingly we seem to live in a world governed by laws and standards. These always set the minimum levels to be achieved and if one choose to operate on these minimum levels, the slightest failure cause a problem. I take the view that simple compliance is not the same as best practice whether it be in manufacturing or a service industry and any damage is usually self-inflicted.

​I have no idea where I heard it but it does appear to be so true along the lines:
​"A good business is not judged by what it does well but how it deals with things when they go wrong"

Don't forget about customer expectation management though. Couple that with feelings and perceived responses to replies and the situation takes on a different hue.

Affronted customers invariably always state "I've spend £x amount over the years" or "having shopped with him for years" but what they are really saying is that they expect, in the event of something going wrong, something that might not be reasonably expected to be given.

My ex-SWMBO used to tell me some whopping tales on what customers demanded in recompense for an order being incorrect. Many customers, by contrast, accept that mistakes can and do happen and are happy to be put back, legally, in the position they were in previously and just move on.

OK - well we are grateful to Martin Henderson from the company for coming on and putting their side of the events. Its always good when traders engage - good for us and for them so thanks you Martin.

I think now that everyone has had a chance to put their view and their account, we can draw a line under this incident and all move on.

As always thank you to all for your contributions.

BEB

Well, Martin Henderson's response does introduce new elements to the story - in particular the aspects around the conversation with the young lady assistant.

Now it has to be said that Martin Harris's view of that conversation is different - and he feels he has not had an opportunity to respond to that specific claim regarding his behaviour. So, without prejudice and simply in the interests of fairness in giving a right of response, we are enclosing below a summary of Martin Harris's response.

"I'm very concerned by the statement that I bullied the young lady. I feel I did not - and would not - ever do such a thing and my recollection of the call is that we parted in good humour with me acknowledging that she was simply passing on instructions and her volunteering to get Martin to call me - at no time did I ever ask her to get him to do so. So I refute the allegation of bullying the young lady and if for any reason she was upset by our conversation (although I have absolutely no idea why this would be) that I am deeply sorry for any misunderstanding.

During the call with Martin, I accepted his assertion that the supplier had let him down and suggested that rather than getting them to refund him, they might be able to send me the outstanding quantity directly.

It's a shame that he didn't explain his behaviour in hanging up on me and I certainly never talked over him - it was an even tempered conversation without any shouting or arguing although I would admit that it was going nowhere by the end."

So, we now feel that really is "it"- the end of this matter. Both sides have expressed their view. We feel the thread is balanced and fair to both sides - the accounts are slightly different, but well that's what we have and you can draw your own conclusions - or not, as you please! smile

BEB