April 2017 Issue Home of Scale Old Warden Report

Nightflyer

I must say I thoroughly enjoyed reading Alex Whittaker's report on Old Warden. As someone who has attended a number of events over the years as visitor and flyer I think his article really did a great job of capturing the atmosphere of an OW weekend.

Anyone who has not yet been to one of these events must add it to their bucket list. While some events are better than others at times it has to be said that Old Warden has done much for model flying in its many forms to be showcased, and it does seem to ooze a kind of tween the wars family weekend atmosphere that just feels so right to have free flight, control line and rc flying existing alongside each other especially if the sun is shining and you feel you can just relax and enjoy life and your hobby.

I think it is great that Shuttleworth Collection allow these events and as much as they support us we should also appreciate and support them. It is one of the quintessential aspects of the location that we get access to the museum and also sometimes witness 1:1 scale flying too.

Long may Old Warden and aeromodelling remain connected, and well done Alex on such a good write up.

Posted by Nightflyer 2013 on 24/03/2017 12:51:18:

...... Alex Whittaker's report on Old Warden. As someone who has attended a number of events over the years as visitor and flyer I think his article really did a great job of capturing the atmosphere of an OW weekend.

I heartily agree! I go there, both to fly models, and to spectate at the full-size shows. I'd hesitate to write about the place, simply because my descriptive skills aren't up it. Not so, with Uncle Alex; he really has captured the feel of the place very nicely indeed.

Timimg_0843small.jpg

It was a good read but it also brought back fond memories from back in the day.

At my old flying site they would hire a coach and organise a proper "Club Trip", this was in the seventies​. I was only about 16 but remember flying my Wittman Tailwind, built from a plan but can't remember which one, there one year.

I also remember some of the older members loading crates of 🍺 into the back of the coach together with some models.

Happy Days Indeed.