Brushed ESC

Kappie

Can someone please help? I bought an Art-Tech Cessna 182 (RTF) & cannot get the thing to work.

Problem: When I connect the battery, the servos (elevator & rudder) are the only items showing some response--twitching. The motor is dead--does not even twitch. I have tried a new TX, new crystals, new RX & a new battery pack --The only item I have not replaced is the ESC. Is there a method that I can use to check if the ESC (30A Brushed motor) is faulty?

Please help me!!!!!!!!

Advert

Timbo, I replaced it the exact same way when I replaced the RX--it is still the way I took it out the box. It might be that it has been in the wrong channel all along. Which channel is the correct one? Then I can check and make sure if it is correct. If correct, what might the next step be?

Thanks guys,

Timbo--Tried the motor, it works perfectly.

Eric--Not a silly question, but yes. Even tried another pack to make sure it was not the batteries.

Birdy--I have looked, but cannot find a switch of any kind on the ESC. It is only a RTF, so would recon it would be the cheapest in there that you can find.

Well Gents, any further checks that you can think of that might help?? I am stuck out in Nigeria, so running down to the nearest hobby shop for replacement is a bit out of the question--I have to courier stuff out here and it costs an arm and a leg.

Thanks

Right follow this sequence exactly.

1) Switch on transmitter and ensure it shows as being "ON"

2) Make sure throttle stick on Tx is in low position

3) Connect battery inside model to the electrics.

4) Make a note of any beeping sounds emitted and write them down as they sound

5) See that servos respond to stick movement.

6) Open throttle ensuring model is restrained and safe.

If still no motor, then do all the above again except at stage  2) put throttle stick high

.......carry on as before. 

report back the findings here. 

Hi Timbo,

Did exactly as you said, the following happened:

As battery is connected--one twitch on each servo; then nothing.

No servo response, no motor response. When I disconnect the battery and re-connect--the same thing; one twitch of servos--then nothing.

Any next step, or do I need to invest in a new ESC? 

No sounds from motor at all ? In either test ? Hmmm

If not, then sounds like either

1) a dead battery - check the voltage of the battery and report back - how many cells and what type are they - what voltage when measured with a meter ?

2) a duff BEC on the ESC -unplug the bec plug ( the one from the ESC to the reciver throttle channel ) - connect the main battery to the ESC - check for a voltage ( should be around 4 -5V ) on the red and black pins of that small BEC plug .

3) No signal match between the Tx and Rx  - are they on the same channel? - how do you know ?

Is the tx actually transmitting a signal ? - how do you know ?

Timbo,

1) Battery voltage check: 10V straight off the charger & 9.3V after standing overnight. It is a 7 cell Ni-MH battery and according to the supplier: 8.4V -1000mAh.

2) BEC voltage check: 4.99V between black & red on small plug.

3) I have tried another set of crystals, from my Cub, same response. Could I try the TX on my Cub; the Cub is elevator/rudder mix & the Cessna has ailerons as well?

Regards

Timbo,

Tried the TX on my Kyosho Clipped wing Cub--only three channels--all worked, but wrong way round. I fly Mode 2.

1) Throttle worked on aileron stick.

2) Elevator was correct.

3) Rudder worked on Throttle stick.

Then I used the Cub crystals (same TX) and tried it in the Cessna--Nothing! Just the single twitch and then silence. I originally suspected the RX and got another one from the shop, but this one gives me the same issue. Could it be that I have two "stuffed" RX's?

Frank, Thanks for the input, will re-check and even try it the other way round.