Lifepo4 Tx Battery

Advert

Which radio is it Frank?

I converted my 10C years ago with a 3S LiFe battery & it's been brilliant....lasts for ages between charges. The longest I have gone is a cumulative time of 5 hours (as shown on the Tx timer) over several weeks & I only charged it then because of paranoia....wink 2...the voltage was still steady at 9.8V. I recall it took slightly over half capacity to charge it back up again so still plenty of life (groan!) in it even after 5 hours.

Another plus point is that you can charge it when you get back from the field & it will hold it's charge for weeks if not months.....unlike NiMH cells which go flat whilst you watch them.....angry 2

Buy with confidence I would say.....thumbs up

PS I'm sure you know but you do need a dedicated LiFe setting on your charger. a LiPo setting will not do. Oh & keep the charge current down to under 1A too....the internal wiring is quite thin as it's designed for slow charging NiMH batteries not fast charging LiFe batteries

I have a 14 SG operating with life batteries. The only downside is that you can no longer charge the battery through the charging port on the Tx. Most Tx life batteries now come with an additional lead on with a micro connector so that you can charge them without pulling the dedicated power lead from the tx. My ones came with an adaptor for the micro connector matted to a female futaba socket.

I have a 2.1 Ah battery and after 2 hours use it needed 0.454 Ah from the charger to get the smoke up to the required level.

I'm not quite sure what Steve is saying in his PS but I always balance charge my ones and futaba recommend the life battery to be removed from the transmitter to carry out the charging cycle.

With the set up in the 10C I can charge the LiFe battery via the normal charge port in the Tx. No need to remove it for charging. I was just pointing out that the internal wiring in the Tx is quite small gauge so keeping the charge current low to avoid overloading the Tx wiring.

Given the low discharge current I see no need to balance charge every time.

Thanks for the above chaps. What concerns me is using lifepo4 as the RX pack, the voltage that can be attained, can this be tolerated by the RX/servos. I have built a kamco kadet to teach my grandson, using a futaba dual rejection RX on 35meg and 6ea tx. Thanks again chaps.

Most receivers are designed to run on a fairly wide range of voltages and 2S LiFe packs shouldn't present a problem to any modern system I'm aware of. Servos may be OK but there are some which don't tolerate higher voltages than a 4S NiXX pack.

A simple and reliable (depending on your soldering skills!) precaution for any 5S capable servos is to add a silicon diode in series with the output (from 3 Amps rated upwards depending on the expected load) which takes @ 0.6V off the supply voltage and a margin of safety against the freshly charged voltage.

I don't know what other folk use buy, after spending quite a few quid on multiple chemistry chargers I settled on the following, bearing in mind I only use my chargers for charging the lipos on my starter and the life batteries in my tx and models.

Indoors I use an IMAX B6 AC which will operate both from mains and from a 12V car battery, but I only use it indoors on the mains. It cost about £22 a few years back.The B6 does nicad, nimh, lipo and life and also lead acid

At the field I use an IMAX C403 which operates from 12V only. This is the easiest charger I have to use, but it only does lithium chemistry batteries and, if I could only have one charger, it would be it. you can change between lipo li-ion and life sequentially with a button, turn the amps up with a rotary switch and thats about it. It beeps at you when the battery is full. It cost about £15 two or three years ago.

The B6 is advertised on e-bay at £21 currently, which annoys me I have to say!!!crying

It's coincidental that both are IMAX btw. They both work well and the only problem that I had with them was the chrom buttons fell off if you inverted them. A drop of cyno fixed that.

Edited By Braddock, VC on 13/05/2017 20:20:11