What is it? Glass Fibre fus

Hi all

picked this Glass Fibre fuselage up off ebay. It's quite long, and seems to have provision for a bolt-on wing. Searching t'internet hasn't turned anything recognisable up. Anyone know what it is?

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited By Alistair Taylor on 22/05/2017 19:54:55

Edited By Alistair Taylor on 22/05/2017 19:56:14

Edited By Alistair Taylor on 22/05/2017 19:59:23

Advert

Sorry, no cigar yet!!wink

I'm certain that it's not a Centiphase. I've got one of those in my attic and whilst the general shape is similar, the wing on the Centiphase is mid fuselage and slots on to two piano wire joiners.

Might be one of the other 'phases' though................questionquestion

Kim

It's not a 'Phase' of any kind. Only the Centi-Phase and Hi-Phase have fibre glass fuselages, all the other Phases are wooden. I have two Centis and three Hi-Phases.

Looks a bit like an EMP Algebra but it's not.

I could repost the photo on the BARCS website to see if anyone knows over there.

Cheers

Gary

I am happy to be able to say that I recognised it instantly. It is a CASCADE, produced by John Hall during the time when he was making the Algebra fuselages for Dick Edmonds. I have one, moulded in black, in my workshop at present, left over from the days when it was a project for a kit, and my part in the venture was to build one and write the kit instructions.

The model is still unfinished but I can provide more information as the completed wing is standing in a corner and the tail bits are in a bag on a shelf. I can post photos if anyone wants to see them.

Alastair, I have to eat crow pie: it is not a Cascade, though very similar. When I dug out the black fuselage to take a photo I realised I had been mistaken, too long since I looked at the model for ancient memory to be reliable, so please accept my apologies.

For what it’s worth, here is a shot of the Cascade bits. The fuselage length is 1130mm; the wingspan is 1520mm, root chord 200mm and tip chord 180mm. The wing and tail parts are all foam/obechi, covered in glass/epoxy. To finish your model I would suggest scaling these components to the length of your fuselage, and cutting a foam wing with Eppler 193 section.

The radio fit was always going to be tight when the only battery choice was NiCd. With a 500 mAh 2S lipo and suitable radio and servos it should become a comfortable fit.

I hope that goes some way to make up for my error.

cascade mod.jpg

Absolutely

Looked back at an early 80s RCM&E and Radio Modeller reports on various soaring competitions - talk about variation on a theme! Hundreds of home-brew designs all roughly the same shape, but not easy to distinguish given the fairly low res images.

Truly we are spoiled with the pin-sharp digital photos in current issues...

AlistairT

So its 1.22m long, has a bolt on wing and a canopy access to the RC.gear. Looks a bit like a Purbeck Assassin, but I think that had a sheath nose? - edit, yep, sheath nose and a V-tail. Seems I really am getting old.....

It kind of looks familiar but I can't quite place it...

Could be a one-off but it looks like a very good job if it was.

Was there ever a F/G version of one the Algebras?

Edited By TIM Shaw on 29/05/2017 12:56:27

Don't know if you can see, but there's a ledge around the edge of the radio hatch that continues backwards to the opening where the wing would sit. So there would have been a long hatch designed to cover radio bay and wing mounting.

There were many Algebra F/G fuselages, but John Hall (see post above) used to make them and denies all knowledge.

I've searched back issues of RCM&E/Radio Modeller/RC Model World (back to 1970s!) and it looks like lots of different gliders!

AliT

First there was the Algebra 8 with bulbous front end and plug-on wings – I made all Sean Bannister‘s F3B fuselages, then he designed the smaller wooden fuselage model which I think one of the magazines published as a plan. John took over and produced the glass version for Dick Edmonds. Neither design was anything like the mystery moulding.

• 2 months later...