Model ID help please

kevin b

I am currently (no pun intended) helping convert an old biplane to electric power. Can anybody help us to identify it please. We know it was a kit, but that is about all. Originally it had a 60 at the front, but we have lengthened the nose by 12mm and changed its shape.

We are hoping that the cabane construction and tailwheel design might help.

Thanks. Kevin.

les (1).jpg

les (2).jpg

les (3).jpg

Advert

Hi Kevin

It's got a bit of the Precedent Bi-Fly about it. That also had a stringered rear deck, and two point fixing for the wing, although the cabane struts were different. It used a wire framework instead of ali frame.

Bi-Fly's have a reputation for being robustly built, so fitting a 60 to a Bi-Fly 40 would not be unusual I would suggest. I've never owned or flown one so I'm only reporting what others have said.

Do you have the wings still? How long is it?

AlistairT

Edited By Alistair Taylor on 29/05/2017 20:18:37

It looks like a david boddington bistormer with the cabane redesigned - the bistormer was 72" span and i think was for a 60 2 stroke. I flew mine on a 60 2 stroke Merco which was a bit sedate when it came to aerobatics.

john

Edited By John Laird on 29/05/2017 20:17:44

Edited By John Laird on 29/05/2017 20:18:08

Hi Alistair.

Wings are arriving during this week. Overall length was approx. 43.5 ins. Too big for a BiFly. Another unusual thing is that the undercarriage comprises of 3 wires. It is built very sturdy, which makes me think it is quite old.

It isn't important to know what it was, but it might help us in sorting out the C of G as the wings have a reasonable stagger.

Thanks very much for your input.

The construction and materials are very much like a typical Precedent kit (I've had a couple) and must admit I thought it was one at first. Not knowing their full range of kits (too young !) I can't say for certain if it is one or not.

It doesn't look anything like any DB plan I have ever seen either.

When the wings arrive I will post another photo.

Edited By kevin b on 29/05/2017 21:16:19