Fireworks

Erfolg

Yesterday I went to the "Halle" in the Park Concert (Tatton Park).

The concert took place at late evening. the concert was quite enjoyable, the finale being a firework display.

So what is what most of you are thinking!

Well at one point 2 model helicopters were flown in the dark. I thought that that was impressive enough, as I could only make out was the disc of the helicopters which appeared to have fluorescent paint on the rotors

What really surprised me that the helicopters were carrying fireworks, apparently lots of them, which went flying of in all directions.

Now I was thinking is this legal, as i had read (in numerous magazines) that a model B29 which dropped a model of the Bell X1, the X1could only glide back to earth as powering it with a rocket motor would be illegal. 

Any way I thought these are very impressive helicopters, both the payload and their controlability.

Was it illegal?

How is it done?

Erfolg

Advert

Don't understand the B-29/X-1 comment - if that were to be illegal, what about the space model brigade?

OTOH memory claims that it used to be (back when I were a lad in the 50s) that modifying standard fireworks to use them for model propulsion wasn't permitted (Jetex must have got round thsi, presumably because they were specifically intended for models, not modified - ditto the more modern Estes devices) 

CAP 658 makes the folowing comments, but they are clearly aimed at propulsion, not the sort of thing you observed

3 Rockets

NOTE:
Article 73 of the ANO “Endangering Safety of an Aircraft” applies to all

rockets: the operator of a model rocket must ensure that it does not

endanger a real aircraft.

3.1 General

Only fly on sites that are clear and open with adequate open space downwind of the

launch point and in good visibility.

Models should be constructed of lightweight materials and should contain no metal

structural parts.

Only commercially available factory produced motors should be used.

Models should be equipped with a suitable recovery system (parachute or streamer)

or with aerodynamic surfaces sufficient to ensure a safe descent.

Motors should be ignited electrically in such a way that the operator is at least

5 metres from the launch point.

HTH - it leaves me confused!

Mike

As a semi profession firework displayer as well as a keen rocketeer, I can confirm that the law in this area is hugely grey. 

The main law is to do with modifications, but in truth in 99.9% of cases what you are really talking about is methods of ignition.  This is done on the grounds of health and safety, but can actually work against safety in some cases.  For example the model rockets are lit with an electrical match inserted into the motor, however taping the same match to a roman candle to a firework to allow you to light the firework from a distance is classed as a modification, and banned (although a small remote ignition systems have been licenced for use in the uk). http://www.brightspark.co.uk/ if you are interested.  This is probably the only way to (vaguely) legally attach a rocket to any kind of aircraft for a normal member of the public.  Even in this case I think if you caused any damage with a firework fixed to a model you wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court as you haven't followed the manufacturers instructions.  With a model rocket you would probably be a bit better off- the risk of injury/damage is significantly lower and the argument might be stronger for mounting it. 

In truth it is probably not worth the risk, although potentially great fun.  I would guess it might well be enough to invalidate the BMFA insurance, so you might be on your own there too. I set off fireworks at school for the kids (loads of science in them) as well as model rockets and I know that even though I follow the requisite safety guidelines religeously I would still be on a sticky wicket if something should go wrong. 

If you are going tp do it buy the smallest model rockets possible, and 1/2A mini motors for them- and make sure to video your mates saying they understand the risks!

I have no intention of setting of any rocket.

Although I am still amazed at the skill of the model helicopter pilots, and the ability of the helicopters to lift what i assume to be a very heavy load. Not withstanding the issues of ignition, or flying in the dark.

Did no other member of this forum attend? There were many thousands of people there. 

Erfolg