Unisens-E Graupner telemetry sensor

Posted by Dickw on 18/07/2017 10:05:13:

Pleased to hear you got it sorted OK.

The UniSens is a useful little gadget isn't it. I also have the 280 amp version, and that works OK as well - in my case it is with Jeti telemetry.

Dick

Yes, its very compact and so much cheaper and more convenient than using multiple discrete sensor units. And.... it supports multiple radio protocols too! A very handy gadget and I'm surprised you don't see more of them about. I suppose lack of English instructions and software must limit its uptake in the UK.

• 7 months later...
Advert

Posted by David Ovenden on 17/07/2017 14:03:45:
#Posted by David Ovenden on 06/07/2017 12:58:55:

Bob, interesting link that. Much cheaper than the Graupner list or shop price.

However, I have just ordered the KINGKONG PC Communications Adapter (USB/Com) from HK European warehouse at a total shipped cost of £4.19. Will report back whether or not it works once it arrives.-

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond to this thread. The KINGKONG PC Communications Adapter duly arrived from the HK warehouse in the NL. Post took its time, but it arrived in the end.

**LINK**

So, here is the feed back. The USB adapter worked perfectly for my purposes and allowed me to set up the UniSens-E for my JR DMSS radio and to update the firmware to the latest version. Once I have flown it in my test model (HK Tundra) I may well want to tweak other parameters, but so far on the bench all is working as it should. So, all in all the UniSens-E seems an excellent multi-purpose telemetry unit for electric models and the KINGKONG adapter at £4.19 including postage was a "bargain".

David

Edited By David Ovenden on 17/07/2017 14:16:54

Edited By David Ovenden on 17/07/2017 14:18:47

Hello David,

I have also bought this item to update my unisense. Unfortunatelly it wont do the trick for me.

Are there some special drivers i need to install? (Unisens software recognices the adapter as COM6 --> Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM6))

I connected the ground and signal wire from unisens to the adapter (gnd and sig) and in addition i powered the unisens with my esc (gnd and +).

First i connected the usb adapter and set the unisens software to "connect". After that i powered the unisens.

It starts to blink fast and after some seconds its a permanent red light, but it wont connect.

May you are so kind and offer me some help?

I use either the SM USB adapter via the COM port or the Jeti adapter via the LINK port and both work OK (just checked). In both cases I use the power supply in the adapter to power the Unisens rather than connecting a separate supply - can you try that?

The only other thing I note is that my PC uses an FTDI driver for the adapter. Perhaps the driver (treiber) from the SM website would help - bottom of this page.

Dick

Hi Ray, Sorry the adapter is not working for you. Maybe it is the use of an ESC that is the problem? I used a separate 4.8V Nimh battery to power my unisens whilst I set it up. I didn't have to download any new drivers, but maybe I was lucky. I used my quite old Acer desktop PC which runs on Windows 10. Other than that I did nothing special. It "just worked" for me.

Have you got the instructions for the Unisens software?

The Posted by Dickw on 12/03/2018 11:25:47:

I use either the SM USB adapter via the COM port or the Jeti adapter via the LINK port and both work OK (just checked). In both cases I use the power supply in the adapter to power the Unisens rather than connecting a separate supply - can you try that?

The only other thing I note is that my PC uses an FTDI driver for the adapter. Perhaps the driver (treiber) from the SM website would help - bottom of this page.

Dick

Dick, The KingKong adapter Ray has (and I used) does not have its own power supply so it does need an external source. The unisens instructions do mention this IIRC.

Have you noted this bit of the instructions about connecting to the PC?

Third-party cables with servo plugs are connected directly to the UniSens-E at "Link". When the USB cable has a servo socket, use the normal cable from UniSens-E as adapter.

With all cables that connect to the UniSens-E via "link", you must click on “Verbinden” (Connect) in the "SM UniSens-E Tool" prior to making the connection and activation of the power supply. Otherwise the UniSens-E starts up normally and can no longer be addressed by the PC

Posted by David Ovenden on 12/03/2018 11:40:06:

Dick, The KingKong adapter Ray has (and I used) does not have its own power supply so it does need an external source. The unisens instructions do mention this IIRC.

Ah - OK.

Yes I use win 10 as well and have never had to load different drivers - it was just a thought.

Definitely have to click "Verbinden" before connecting when using LINK though.

Dick

Hello,

Thanks for your responds.

Yes i first press on "verbinden" and after that i powered the unisense.

Only difference between your situation and mine seems to be the powersupply and i am using windows 7.

So there are multiple options: my driver is not correct, my unisens is bad, my adapter is bad or it realy does need a 2s powersupply (would be confusing, because normal USB output is about 5V).

Maybe the win10 driver will work for win7 too.....disgust

Thank you guys for your help. yes

Today i managed to update my unisense. laugh

The Kingkong adapter wont work for me, i tried several things, i even borrowed a win10 tablet.

After this i ordered an adapter with an ftdi chip and build the same cabel as Max posted above. This worked as intended.

So for everybody out there, if you are going to build your own cable look that you get an adapter with a ftdi chip (ft232). This is the safest way to get a working solution (at least with the highest chances) and you wont need an external power supply for the unisense.

@Dick: Just for your info: the drivers from the SM website are for "FTDI chips", the kingkong adapter is using a silab CP2102 chip. Sadly the drivers cant be mixed. sad

Posted by Shonkon Ray on 13/03/2018 17:21:32:.

@Dick: Just for your info: the drivers from the SM website are for "FTDI chips", the kingkong adapter is using a silab CP2102 chip. Sadly the drivers cant be mixed. sad

I suppose it makes sense that the SM drivers are for use on their own adapters!

Pleased to hear you have working now. The UniSens is a very useful device.

Dick