Red Eagle

Martian

Advert

Nice work Michael.

Im still working on mine. VERY slow build. I’m fitting ailerons and it has taken me a while to nut it all out but I’m getting there. So far fuzz, tail feathers and almost one wing panel done.

I hope mine will fly as well as yours.

I’ll put up a couple of progress pics.

TP

I decided to try making my aileron more “scale” like with a scalloped section on the wing and rounded leading edge on the aileron. Once I work out how to fit the control horn I’ll finish shaping the wing section, fit the wing bolt support panel and maybe do what someone else has and make up a little bit of fairing for the upper centre section of the wing panel where it meets the fuselage just to tidy it up a little.

Then it’s on to the outer wing panel followed by the right hand side wing, give it all a final smooth over with a little filler for the small blemishes and then on to covering. Probably transperant blue and yellow.

have you tried any inverted flying yet? If so how does it handle and do you have any problems with seeing orientation?

Very nice build Tipsy Pilot.

Fitting a larger (heavier) battery may improve penetration a bit in a blow but for thermaling the extra weight will not be an advantage and I doubt the aileron servos will significantly shift the c of g. I do ask the question why you fitted ailerons as they are quite a bit of work, complication and drag, and this type of polyhedral wing doesn't need them? If I were to modify the design at all I might consider fitting spoilers, to escape from one of your Australian 'boomers', not ailerons.

Sorry TP, I don't mean to rain on your parade, good luck with the maiden.

For a rudder/elevator glider the addition of inboard spoilers are most effective for reducing lift and increasing drag. They should be located just behind the main spar and hinged at their leading edge so that a servo can push each one up to disturb the airflow behind it. This causes turbulent airflow in their wake and a reduction of lift/increase in drag, as a consequence. There will normally be an upward pitch change too, which can be compensated by mixing a little down elevator at your transmitter. Ensure pushrod linkages are slop free otherwise the spoilers can be sucked proud of the wing in-flight, causing unwanted drag when retracted. Servoless blade spoilers can be fitted as an alternative which may make installation easier (I have no experience of using the Hobbyking ones and they are out of stock at present in any event).

Alternatively, fitting ailerons which reflex (up) to reduce lift and cause drag can be quite effective too. Personally I would not fit ailerons to a model that has a lot of dihedral, or polyhedral for that matter, as they tend not to work too well. At the end of the day it is your model and half the fun with this hobby is experimenting.

P.S. Michael, I like your Red Eagle colour scheme, most effective.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 03/03/2019 13:16:14

Thanks Piers, I did torment a little over wether to fit ailerons or not.

I decided ailerons but to be fair they will actually be flaperons, I have also removed the dihedral from the centre wing section so it is only the outer wing section that has the dihedral.

Totally agree with you re the extra weight from a larger battery. A bit of experimentation and a few tentative test flights I think.

Thats what I like about this forum, lots of different ideas and really good advice, plus I love seeing everyone’s twist on a design.

Good info Piers, next one I'll build in the spoilers, well noted about secure closed position.

I'll build myself, I refuse to buy anything from hobbyking again after last purchase they wouldn't honour their free freight ad and refused to cancel the order (within 30 min of placing it), 250$ in fedex, never again

Tipsy Pilot, the rudder will still control your Red Eagle nicely without the central dihedral so fear not. You could try reflexing (raising) your two mid-span ailerons which would act as trailing edge spoilers when deployed, so increasing the model's rate of decent for escaping a powerful thermal - or landing. I would do that in preference to flaps but that is just me. There will also be a pitch change with spoiler.

I am not a fan of flaperons (sorry again!) as they tend to encourage tip stalls, although in fairness your ailerons are not at the tips. If you look at full size practice it is probably no accident that flaps are located close to the fuselage and the ailerons out at the tips.

I am glad you found this discussion useful Michael and sorry to hear about your Hobbyking experience. That would put me off too!

• 1 year later...

My Red Eagle is still surviving after some repairs there this week! Made up a new firewall from birch ply and epoxied the formers back in place after a crash when radio contact was lost.

Back in the air once again and it flies like new again!

I've racked up a lot of enjoyable flying hours on it and it always flies great! So made up some very basic decals/trim for it to celebrate it flying again!