Anyone know if this has been built for PSS?

steven patey

Advert

Steve - do you mean the A-10 as a sloper? - or that particular design of A-10 by George Miller?

Certainly the A-10 has been done numerous times, its a winner from the slope - with an unswept wing of ample area - yes it has some draggy characteristic features but it manages those just fine. There's at least 2 on the UK PSSA circuit flying now, Andy Meade and Chris Barlow, and I'm aware of 2 others being built - one of those is in my garage!

If your title question referred to that particular plan - then I'm unaware of that ever being converted to slope - my advice would be - GO FOR IT!

Hi Phil,

yes I mean as a pss sloper. specifically from the george miller plan.

BTW I saw the build thread for the enormous one you did a while back, what was the span and did you use the funny wing section of the full size A10 (which is shown on the G Miller plan), or a more conventional one.

cheers

steven.

BTW this plan is 99" which seems pretty big. I think yours was quite a bit bigger though

I've still not finished mine(!) - its 1/6th scale - 110" span - Andy Meade has finished his (same basic design) and Simon Cocker is 2/3rds through a similar build himself. All 3 moved from the 'as drawn' wing section AND tail incidence, both were pretty ridiculous for unpowered slope use...

We chose an Eppler 374 section for the centre panels which translate through the outer panels into an increased thickness (12%) Eppler 205 at the tip, in an attempt to keep that scale solid wing look when viewed head on. Both sections are well proven from the slope and as Andy has proven, give the A-10 a steady going yet versatile performance.

I've just had a chance to look at the plan, it seems very nice. 99" is a good size too, and will allow you to get lots of scale detail in. The cockpit may be problematic, depending on how handy you are at making a plug I guess.

Please run a build blog if you go for it, it would be very interesting to see, as I have often toyed with the idea of having a second A10 a little smaller, and a lot lighter. Mine weighs in at about 38lbs, but she is actually undergoing surgery at the moment that should allow me to remove noseweight (new tailplane and modified rear end).

Good luck, and hope to see it on the slope in the future yes

Thanks for the great pics Andy,

I've added them to my bumper scrapbook of unfeasibly large pss models you kneed a transit van to take to the slope in.

Could you tell me what wing section, wing/tail incidences you used on the model? that would very be useful.

You got me really interested in actually doing it now! As you rightly said it is an ideal size, not to large but big enough to have a good presence in the air

Steven

ps, I have been seriously wanting to do one of these about the same size, what am awesome model, John Hill's Pucara. I have a pretty good 3 view of it. I'm looking into getting a projector to blow up 3 views. would make life so much easier.

http://www.pssaonline.co.uk/images/493.jpg

Edited By steven patey on 14/08/2017 12:57:30

Almost, yes, but not quite (20kg / 44lbs of course being the cutover). I eyeballed 2 degrees of "up" in the tailplane, and it could probably do with a degree more, and the wing sections were as per Phil's text above.

Yes Si Cocker has that Pucara now, it really is lovely.

Big PSS eh? My 15th scale C17 is currently getting glassed, so hopefully ready for April? hopefully...cross fingers etc.

20170304_122529.jpg

2 degrees up? I'm assuming 2 deg positive incidence on tail.

thanks for info

steven

ps I had considered eppler 205 for entire wing,as I wanted a floater, so I wasn't too far off the mark. Interesting how you used eppler 374 for the inboard sections.Is this a compromise between lift requirements and speed/penetration?

I need to look into wing section theory a bit more (I did yrs ago, but have forgotten most of it)

If positive gives up elevator, then yes - I always get mixed up which is which, as it's a negative AoA, but the TE comes up.

Sorry, I'm not really sure on why they chose the wing sections, it was pencilled up a bit before I got involved with the builds. I know the wing works well with flaps though, and just 4 or 5 degrees of down flap makes her shoot up like a thermaller surprise

The C17 was actually built inside the house - I have an indoors workshop yes  The 225 was badly damaged after a large hatch blew off the nose, and as far as I am aware, has not been repaired as yet.

Edited By Andy Meade on 14/08/2017 13:35:06