OrangeRX RX3S 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer

Nik Harrison

Has anybody used the the OrangeRX Stabilizer? Full title OrangeRX RX3S 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer V2 (V2.1 firmware) (V-tail/Delta/AUX) from HobbyKing.

I decided to fit one to my A400 Atlas (Nijhuis version) as it is effected by the wind and I had loads of room. It's not expensive (£14) and lots of advice available on Youtube. Got it working on the bench fine so off to the field. The gains were set mid position as I wanted to check out all was well before slowly increasing.

Took off and gained two mistakes high before switching on the OrangeRX. The plane did not react - good - but would not turn with ailerons. Large movement on ailerons caused the plane to roll and head to the deck rapidly. Switched off the OrangeRX and landed successfully if not a bit shaken. On inspection on the ground the ailerons with the OrangeRX switched on are frozen until max stick then stay at max. All well with it switched off.

It has now been removed from my pride and joy and will not be going back in. Has anybody else had any success or problem with this unit?

Advert

There are a couple of threads on the RX3S here and here, Nik. A forum search on 'Orange' will bring up a list of threads, some of which also relate to the RX3S. There's plenty of information there.

From your description above, I'm wondering whether you had the ailerons compensating in the correct direction? When ground-testing, if you rotate the wing, for example, the stab should compensate by moving the aileron in the direction the wing is turning.

It's a while since I've used mine, so I'm a bit rusty on answers, sorry....smile

Pete

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 15/08/2017 11:37:54

Your Gain is set too high Nik,

Correctly set, the movement is barely perceptible, but you can hear the servos if you jiggle the model

Be absolutely sure that as the tail goes left so the rudder goes left

And if you lift one wing tip, then that aileron lifts as you do

If you lift the tail, the elevator will flex upwards

Nearly forgot, the unit needs firmly fixing down, flat, and does have an alignment front to rear

And works best centre wing centre model

Edited By Denis Watkins on 15/08/2017 12:55:18

Thanks for the replies. I can assure you all that the all surfaces initially responded by moving in the correct direction when the plane was moved. I double and double checked that before flying. As for gain setting I had the gain set so that the surfaces did not appear to move as I moved the model. I intended to slowly increase the gain as confidence grew.

The unit now does not move the ailerons when switched on, except at max throw, then sticks at max throw. Rudder and elevator work fine, unit on or off. Ailerons work only with unit switched off.

Unit was mounted at CoG and fixed with powerlock tape. Powerlock is good enough to hang shelf with so should hold the OrangeRX down.

I'll put this down to experience and stick with the original Rx setup I had.

Thanks again.

The point I return to is that the unit initially work correctly. All control surfaces were correctly working with unit on or off. Stabilisation correction worked correctly at first it was only in the air that it changed, or that's when I discovered it had changed. Now the unit does not work the ailerons correctly. I put it down to component failure which is why I'm not interested in using it or even replacing it. Once bitten etc.

Cheers,

Nik