Fokker DVII by Flair

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I hope people see this here, might be worth posting a second post elsewhere, but a really good way to round off the thread:

Today was our clubs fun fly event, which attracted loads of people from all over the north west.

And guess which plane won the Concourse D'Elegance..........

Cheesy photo to follow!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Andy
Ive just been offered this kit un started with wheels, guns and a Jockey for about £80. An ambitious task as my first build!!
Hopefully make as good a job of it as you have. I wasnt really looking for a bi plane but its more the building im interested in at the minute, but im sure once ive put all the work in i will!!!! I will be using your blog for as much info as possible!!
How long did it take you from start to finish?

Cheers Andy

Edited By Andy Pickford on 02/10/2009 21:05:01

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Andy,

It was my first build too, so it is definately do-able.  Time was about 6 months- check the dates on the posts and you will be able to work it out exactly!  I could have gone much faster if I wasn't so picky- things like the lozenge covering held me up by a while, and other bits and pieces also get in the way.

Any help I can give just let me know- the blog should help because I think I made most mistakes along the way!

Posted by Andy Pickford on 02/10/2009 20:52:53:
Hi Andy
Ive just been offered this kit un started with wheels, guns and a Jockey for about £80. An ambitious task as my first build!!
Hopefully make as good a job of it as you have. I wasnt really looking for a bi plane but its more the building im interested in at the minute, but im sure once ive put all the work in i will!!!! I will be using your blog for as much info as possible!!
How long did it take you from start to finish?

Cheers Andy
Edited By Andy Pickford on 02/10/2009 21:05:01

Jammy Yorkshire Git !!!!

Well I am also from Gods own country, and as I am sure is buried in the blog somewhere I balked at spending about £20 on a pair of wheels that should have been included in the kit in the first place.

I managed to pick up a slightly started kit including wheels for £50, the thought being that if I bump something I can use the spare kit to effect repairs!  They are out there if you look.

In all seriousness though, Flair have a reputation for producing beautifully flying kits, but to miss out the wheels smacks of being cheap.

Yeah, you're right. The wheels for my Magnatilla cost an arm and a leg.  Actually, come to think of it, the 'Jammy Yorkshire Git' mentioned above, bought them for me!!!  Still haven't paid him back.   And being a Scottish git myself, it could be a long drawn out process..........

Have to say though..... brialliant building blog, really enjoyed reading every bit of it.

Edited By Tony Campbell on 11/10/2009 17:40:12

• 6 months later...
I have only recently discovered this thread, having commenced my build of same model 5 weeks ago (had the kit for over a decade!).  I have pored over your build blog avidly.  Super well done, particularly as a first model.  Few would have the tenacity to continue right through with such a detailed and frank Blog.  Congratulations.

There's a lovely example of a full-size in The Museum of Space and Air at Le Bourget  in Paris, which I was lucky enough to visit in 2008.  I have a few photos I took which could have helped you maybe.  All water under the bridge now!

Good Luck.

• 4 weeks later...
It took me some time to dig up detail on the DVII engine, as I want to include engine detail on my model.  I've discovered some wonderful shots of the BMW IIIa, which was the most powerful engine installed.  You can access them here.

Mike

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 13/05/2010 09:56:46

• 1 year later...
Hi Mike,

I'm sure I referenced the seller and hopefully a link in the blog somewhere, but from memory I think it was a company called Fox engineering in the states.

It wasn't cheap from what I remember. I guess you are having the same issue I did?

I saw another of these last weekend, but was too busy to give it a proper look over- I would have been interested to see what he did with the problem.

• 3 months later...
Well what can I say..

Was going to do something similar to this topic, but I dont think I could do it justice after reading this build!! I got a Flair DVII from ebay, partially built, partially covered, and built to a very high spec. Complete with flair " paint by numbers" lozenge, williams bros wheels and a winsock datafile book for less than a kit, a result I think. The Mrs got me an immaculate Saito 50 to go in it, will start after xmas 2011 though as I have a Pup and a D8 to finish off.

Will print off this thread in its entirety, for some bedtime reading. Thanks also for the heads up on the lozenge, with all the emails etc.

Steve

• 3 years later...