retract reccomendations please

Phil 9

I am in the early stages of planning a build of a Chris Olsen upset.

although it was not an original feature I think retracts might be a good modification. But I have not had retracts before and would like some reccomendations on what to use.

My thinking so far would be trycycle undercarage would be my preferd choice if I can make them fit and electric retracts may be simpler maybe?

They look like the ones sold by Hobbyking, I've used the plastic version on mains for a few models and treat them as consumables though I don't like their noseleg version.  The metal units worked well on my Ta152 (RIP)though they were noisy.  On my Tornado I've got mechanical mains with an E-flite electric noseleg and the Curare has electric all round, I've no idea what brand as they were supplied for the kit by the German supplier. I do have some E-flite mains but tbh I think the HK ones are just as reliable. The E-flite noselegs are easy to link up for steering, some units are less easy.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 24/08/2017 14:22:31

Ron, in that case they are just very similar in outline to the HK units. These look like the ones in my Curare and Sea Fury, about 40gms a side lighter than the Whites ones. Cheaper than the similar E-flite ones too.  The matching noseleg unit.

Personally I'd go with wire leg units over oleos for this size and style of model.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 25/08/2017 09:51:46