Anybody know this plane.

jimmac

20170907_222024.jpgHi I have acquired an unfinished version of this plane. It is a kit as there are stamps on the fuselage former's. It is about 40" wingspan and I have tried an Irvine 53 on the engine mount which isn't going to work, so it must be for a smaller engine as the 53 is in a 40 crankcase I believe. So does anyone have any ideas on its identity.

Edited By jimmac on 10/09/2017 19:54:19

Thanks for the input guys, I will try and get some info such as the c of g and throws. the kit doesn't have the elevons so I need to guesstimate sizes for them. Don't worry Percy I just put the Irvine onto the mount to try it for size. I may well have been give the engine in the picture with it, the silencer looks like either an hgk or como.

Hi Jimmac, apologies to everyone if I've crossed the line a bit on this question but I see in your post that you were sticking some veneer back on a foam wing. Can you please tell me how you did it? Was it a complete strip job or did you use a hypodermic, if so what adhesive did you use?

PM me if you feel that I have hijacked the thread because I would like to know what success you've had.

Thanks, Doug.

Posted by onetenor on 10/09/2017 23:15:46:

This may help the CoG question. We would like to know the success; or otherwise; too

http://www.leespring.com/uk_index.asp?CountryCode=011&utm_source=UK%20Google%20AdWords%20Campaigns&utm_medium=Google%20AdWords%20Search%20Network&utm_campaign=UK%20Productslaugh

Posted by jimmac on 10/09/2017 19:49:19:

20170907_222024.jpgHi I have acquired an unfinished version of this plane. It is a kit as there are stamps on the fuselage former's. It is about 40" wingspan and I have tried an Irvine 53 on the engine mount which isn't going to work, so it must be for a smaller engine as the 53 is in a 40 crankcase I believe. So does anyone have any ideas on its identity.

Edited By jimmac on 10/09/2017 19:54:19

Semi Scale Avro 707 perhaps?

Posted by onetenor on 10/09/2017 23:57:44:
Posted by onetenor on 10/09/2017 23:15:46:

This may help the CoG question. We would like to know the success; or other wise; too

hI,

This is a work in progress but I will use the calculations as I get closer to completing it. Regarding the veneer I did use a large syringe to force pva glue under it on the first part. This was a partial success as i ended up with far too much glue under the veneer, if i was to use a syringe again I would dilute the glue a bit . I ended up using long coffee stirrers as supplied by various nice coffee shops for the smaller parts of lifting. I just dipped them into my bottle of glue and stuffed them under the veneer and moved it around to cover the foam before weihing the veneer down with various weights. The action with the sticks is like a reversal of the procedure you sometimes see on tv of people having liposuction were instead we are forcing it back in.teeth 2

Posted by Denis Watkins on 11/09/2017 17:05:16:

Jimmac, due to reflections on the photo, the registration number cannot be read

And this could be a clue

Please type out the registration

Hi Dennis the reg is PMC -29 Idon't think it has any relevance other than possibly being the initials of th eman who built this second version.

I agree with Percy - that is a Challenger delta, available from the shows back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Can't remember the name of the firm though.

I had the bigger version, called the Crusader, which flew nicely on an Irvine 46, later replaced with an OS 46SF .

I think a good 32 or 36 would make it a lot of fun, but I wouldn't be going much smaller as someone once told me there is nothing as depressing to fly as an underpowered delta.

I believe they had no undercarriage, so it was hand launch and you need enough grunt to pull away cleanly or it all gets a bit too exciting.