VL VIIMA II

Mika Jylhä

Hi all!

My next project will be a F4C class scale plane from Finnish trainer plane designed at 1930's.

There was only 20 planes build during 1936-1939. Now there is one plane in flying condition in Finland and at least two are in restoration to be put in experimental register.

My model will be scaled to 1:3.35 which gives wingspan of 2,7m and lenght of 2,2m. The fuselage will be thinwall stainless tube braized together with silver solder. Wing will be original design, wingspars pinewood and plywood and wingribs wil be CNC milled from thin Finnish birch plywood with capstrips top and bottom.

Motor is still a big questionmark, but I will hide the motor behind a dummy engine for maximum scale effect and realism. Hope to fit in a Saito 33 R3 gas or a Laser 240V twin.

Nice cutawat of the structure

I am very fortuned to have access to a real plane beeing restored just 30min drive from my home. I am currently drawing the plane in original size with original factory drawings, then it will be scailed down and the tube dimesions will be selected to fit as close as possible.

Design of the drame

I have already ordered some thinwall tubing from Toni Clark and next I will do some test samples of the wingspars with 0,4mm and 0,8mm plywood with plywood capstrips.

Mika, Hyvinkaa Finland

Advert