Printing the perfect scale model

Nev

Firstly, I’m not about to enter any competitions and I haven’t read any of the competition rule books so I apologise if this is common knowledge but I’m just curious.

I like following the build blogs, especially the scale one as they show a great deal of skill in creating all the parts and the details. I’ve also seen many 3d printed parts being shown in a lot of threads, guns, gun sights, turrets etc. and can appreciate the skill and effort that goes into generating the CAD files.

Great for your average sport scale modeller, like me but where do you stand in competition. Potential weight penalties aside, are there restrictions to stop you simply “printing” the perfect model.

Like I say, just curious.

Nev.

Advert

I agree, what is the difference between making a scale gun turret from scraps of wood and plastic and designing and then printing one? None as far as I'm concerned, it's just a different skill to mine to get to the same goal. My turret is no better (probably worse in truth) than the 3D printers just because I made it out of bits found in my more traditional workshop. I'm sure we'll see a massive increase in 3D printed parts, even over what we've seen so far.

• 3 years later...

Not sure  if this is the right place for this item  ,in the   model engineer forum  there is this topic  on some  rather nice printed   gun  turrets   in this thread 

Model RAF FN5 gun-turrets from 1940    worth a look

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=173651&p=1#PostTop

John

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Converted text to link