2 x Lipos in series

I'd like to make up a 6S from 2 3S batteries, but still have the 3S individually to use in other models. It's been 25years + since I studied, so are Lipos just going to be the same as any other bettery and I can just connect 2 in series with a custom cable and they'll be fine, or are lipos something a bit more sensitive?

Advert

Tony,

I regularly create a 12S Lipos set up by connecting up in series (not parallel more importantly) two 6S Lipos. Just remember it depends what you want to do i.e. double battery voltage or double the power capacity which governs whether you wire them in series or alternatively in parallel. I am lazy though, as I bought a custom made lead, but many of our number do it themselves.

Thank you, I made this up in a few minutes this evening. Creates quite a spark when it connects which took me by surprise, but in hindsight, I should have fully expected that.

I'm using identical pairs of 3S 2200mAh, same manufacturer so they're as close as they're going to get. Put them on my Dynam Smart with a power meter giving a whopping 900W of power with only about 36A. With a flying weight of about 1.8kg, it's not going to need a lot of throttle when I'm using these packs. By the way, the reason for this exercise isn't the power, it's just so I have more packs on a day flying instead of buying more 4S (yes the ESC/model can take 6S).

dsc_1130.jpg