Peripatic modeller

I've lived and worked several countries and indulged in my hobby in most of them. However, I was generally in one place for some time and could keep the equipment, tools and other paraphernalia with me. Also, I could use my preferred method of propulsion, petrol engines.

However, to fit in with Mrs. H's desire for a peripatetic lifestyle, I want to take the hobby with me but this will entail, for practical reasons, electric models and kits and equipment that can be built on a kitchen table. Simple enough but I wondered if anyone else travels widely but keeps up with modelling? If so, are there any practical tips about joining local clubs or buying used equipment? My BFMA membership has lapsed but I'm currently a member of the AMA in the USA.

Most of the travel will be in Europe ranging from the UK (no issue there), Spain, France and Slovenia for the next year.

Advert

Your mode of travel will be your main restriction. I live on a Dutch barge and travelled throughout France, Belgium and the Netherlands for over 10 years. So with a bit of space for storage I was able to maintain a reasonable amount of materials and tools. Your biggest restriction will be flying sites and language. I was never able to contact local clubs when I could find them. Most of my flying was alone and with one eye open for angry farmers. I know there are a number of expat flying groups but I found most of their activity was far from where I was. Others on this forum may be of more help when you know where you will be.

Good luck.

Hi Christian,

When you're in Spain give me a shout and you'll be very welcome to come and fly at my club. i'm in Aragon in the North of the country.

The club website is www.clubaeromodelismoosca.com but it hasn't been updated for a couple of years now. However, it will give you some idea.

Additionally,I have posted videos on here and on my youtube channel (artesanair) which will give you a flavour of the club site too.

Steve.

Edited By Steve Colman on 08/01/2018 09:49:35

Edited By Steve Colman on 08/01/2018 09:54:49

Before I retired I travelled extensively and of a rainy afternoon, often had spare time to do a bit of model building in my hotel room. I constructed a thin ply box to transport balsa and a lightweight foam building board, discretely concealed within my suitcase! A flat tupperware box would contain a few simple tools like a model knife (and cutting mat), razor plane, razor saw, permagrit block, set square, adhesive, masking tape, pins, etc. Needless to say after a building session, I went to great pains to ensure that I left the room as I found it!

I could produce a 29in wing panel and use wire or carbon tubes as joiners. In this way I built an Aurora glider from a free magazine plan and later fitted it with a Astroflite BL motor, although I had to reduce the span by a couple of inches and tail boom too. I made the butterfly tail fold so that I could transport the complete glider in the ply box, carrying it in a back pack to soaring sites.

I would take the bus to Sheko Beach or The Dragons Back in Hong Kong for a bit of slope soaring. Another spectacular soaring site was Clear Water Bay, a short train ride away from Causeway Bay, where I stayed. I built a couple of O/D tailless gliders too and also bought a Zagi-Lite which I modified to have folding wings and carbon tube joiners, all held together with velcro! This became my 'go-to' glider as it was almost indestructible and also allowed room in my suitcase for cloths! wink 2

I didn't join any clubs as I was never anywhere long enough and the type of flying I did was pretty small beer really. My advice is to get into Slope Soaring and PSS and, if you are not a purist, fit a motor too. Very handy when soaring in marginal conditions and you are running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas, with nowhere suitable to land! smile d