S6r Rx downloads

trebor

Advert

Posted by trebor on 20/01/2018 12:28:57:

It seems the lesser of two evils as I used the stk tool before (once) I would have to update the Taranis and I am worried about loosing my 8 models programmed. As I say I'm a computer novice but willing to learn which is a dangerous thing in my case laugh I've updated flight controllers using Betaflight and I found it easier.

Its pretty difficult to lose models anyway on OpenTX. If you use Companion and save the models onto your PC, then there is always a backup copy. Indeed if you save them under a different filename each time you do this you can also revert to an earlier version also.

I would think it almost impossible to lose any models using the LUA script.

Edited By Andy48 on 20/01/2018 14:16:37

OK I'l back out now Trebor otherwise it may lead to further confusion. It doesn't help with comments from Andy such as the STK is a pain to use (it isn't) and faffing about with the STK tool (no faffing). I should add that I use both the STK tool and LUA scripts!

Anyway good luck with the upgrades.

I'm aware you need the Stk tool for updating the receivers so I refused to give in, trouble is if I don't go through the process more often I will forget what and how I did it sad I will try the Lua scripts after updating the tx when I have nothing else to do laugh yes

• 1 year later...

Can anybody help?

I can connect my S6R to the FRSKY config tool V1.4 on my Win 10 PC read the settings and do the calibration, but when I change say a gain setting and try to write it to the Rx it just sits there indicating it's writing data but never completes.

When I run the Lua scripts from my X12S it works perfectly, when I read back to the PC the changes have been made ok.

I also notice there is no link to the Config Tool on the FRSKY website it seems to have been replaced by the FreeLink App.

Anybody know what the issues may be ?

The failure to write from V1.4 has been reported by others (on RCGroups).

I managed to install the Freelink tool, in spite of the installer being in Chinese, and this worked OK with the STK to a S8R.

Another alternative is to install the "SportSet" tool I have written. See this post for details: **LINK**, and post 8682 on the same thread gives more detail.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Tried to upgrade the firmware on a recently purchased S8R I can read and write to it from Mikes Sportset but when I use the FRSKY Updater the software doesn't detect the RX, I tried a S6R which had updated OK previously and again the updater V1.4 doesn't see the RX. I'm on Windows 10, I have the proper drivers installed and the proper Com port selected. There have been several Windows 10 updates since my last update attempts and am wandering if Win 10 is the problem. I've tried using the STK USB stick and the newer S.Port Airlink both with the same results. I'm also dissapointed that FRSKY havn't sorted the S6R/S8R config software to write changes back to the RX's .

Can anybody help ?

Steve B

As has been said last year, updating receiver firmware and configuring the SxR receivers using the LUA script is far easier done using the transmitter, rather than using Windows. If using the tx, the config settings for the receiver can be changed down at the flying field.

I've always preferred to configure and calibrate the receivers through the PC first time after purchase then use the LUA Script thereafter. I've shied away from firmware upgrades via the Tx because of the warnings of trashing the Tx if you get it wrong, I've never had any problems doing firmware upadtes in the past, I shall have to do future updates via the TX now I guess.

I love my FRSky gear but find it annoying when known issues can't be solved by the company but instead we have to revert to the expertise and goodwill of third parties such as Mike and others.

Posted by Steve Balaam on 13/09/2019 08:56:39:

I've always preferred to configure and calibrate the receivers through the PC first time after purchase then use the LUA Script thereafter. I've shied away from firmware upgrades via the Tx because of the warnings of trashing the Tx if you get it wrong, I've never had any problems doing firmware upadtes in the past, I shall have to do future updates via the TX now I guess.

I love my FRSky gear but find it annoying when known issues can't be solved by the company but instead we have to revert to the expertise and goodwill of third parties such as Mike and others.

The only way to damage the tx when doing a receiver upgrade is to have the lead wired incorrectly, and even then it usually does no harm and is more likely to damage the receiver. The Horus X10 has a Sport socket so any standard lead will work. The fact that there is now an Sport socket does mean that FrSky do listen. In may ways, they probably never envisaged updating receivers via the tx when the Taranis first came out, that was a hack by the clever programmers for OpenTX. Its a chicken and egg situation!

Actually, it was a "hack" by me for erskyTx, and was added to openTx somewhat later!

FrSky did provide me with the updating protocol information so I could do it.

When trying to update devices from the PC, it is best if you power the device from a separate, switched supply. Get the updating software to the "Finding device" stage, then turn the power on to the device.

Mike