Balsa USA Sopwith Pup 1/6 scale

Advert

Nice video Simon. I missed that one somehow but it looks great.

Last time I flew my nieuport I tried a 15x5 turnigy and the performance was good. My saito is not a special like yours and flat out I only get 6500rpm from the poor thing. That said, I have all the power I need for scale flying and I toodle about at around 1/3-1/2 throttle. Its really quiet and works a treat even on my less powerful engine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again Ron! I have just checked my throws and they are: 1” Ail up/down, 3/4” Elev up/down and max on the rudder which looks like about 2-3” L/R. I don’t use dual rates and am careful with my thumbs wink Not sure what the manual says as I can’t find it at the mo having had a big move around.

Simon: Thank you SOOO Much. Can’t find any throw specs in the manual…which I purchased in 2010. Found specs on the internet for the Puppeteer, which appears to be a 1/6 scale. They are 0.6 inch Ailer., 0.8 in. elev, and 1.4” Rudder. Will keep you posted if, and when I get up enough nerve to go airborn.

Ron

Simon: Great to hear from you. My experiment with the Super Tiger 40 failed. 9 year old engine which lost compression. Not worth the aggravation of trying to identify and correct the issue(s). Unfortunately, I already have the cowling cut for the twin stacks on the Bisson Pitts muffler. Called Bisson in Ontario, and Lance said he would send me an identical muffler configured for either of my Evolution NX 46 engines. Both are about 10 years old, but run great. Probably too much thrust for the Pup at full throttle, but I can throttle it down. Wanted to post a pix or two, but have not had good success syncing my computer software to the forum photo download. If permissible, I could send photo attachments from my Hotmail address. Haven't applied roundels yet...still looking for the best source. Would like to name her "Harry", to honor the Prince & my father (Rufus Harry Jones).

Heading for the lake for a week, but should have the Bisson Pitts by then, and ready to get her up and going.

Ronald Harry Jones...great, great grandson of Henry Wilkinson Jones, born Shrewsbury July 26, 1826.

• 3 months later...

So just a quick update. She flies well and got another couple of flights last weekend. However I have an issue with the bracing wires slackening and looking unsightly when she ends up catching a wing or nosing over on the grass. As other have used elastic cord before and at the site this time someone suggested it, I decided to give it a go. Bought it ages ago but didn't have the drive to do it. Weather is rubbish today to go out at all so here was my chance.

I have modified how to do this on my DR1 but on this model I just looped the elastic, secured it with fishing crimps then tapped it between the wing strut bolts. Figure it will be easy to change if I need to. End result looks as good if not better than the wire and I am sure (hopeful) will require less maintenance.