Mosquito U/C legs

A client has several largish Mosquitos, and is undertaking a wing rebuild and other work on them. He wanted two sets of U/C legs, matching as closely as possible the existing ones.

Working from his dimensioned sketch, and with his agreement on conversion of metric to imperial sizes. I ordered materials and set to work.

100_5401.jpg

The legs are minimally profiled pieces of 1/8" x 3/4" aluminium, whilst the spacer blocks are 3/8" x 3/4". The spacers locate over the wire legs of retract units in the engine bays, and are locked in place with M4 grubscrews.

In the originals, legs are attached to spacers with two pop rivets in blind holes, a technique I'd not come across before, and about which I had some (possibly unjustified) reservations. I therefore suggested using M3 socket screws and threadlock, which was agreed. I chose 'flanged button head' screws, as they give excellent wide material support aroung the fixing holes, and are relatively low profile. The screws and grubscrews used here are stainless steel, available at ridiculously low prices on eBay. I'm old enough to remember when stainless steel was a rare and exotic material, available in only a few forms and fewer specifications, so such finds delight me beyond measure.

Assembly was carried out on an old surface plate to keep everything nicely aligned ...

100_5402.jpg

and the finished legs have now been delivered to a satisfied customer

100_5404.jpg

Advert