RES-Eagle Glider RCME March 2018

Ton van Munsteren

Advert

Great to know the kit has arrived and looking forward to many build pics.

Was thinking about the same idea for using on a model.

Was thinking about gluing a magnet in the rib at one side and the other side a metal ring as you mention also in a rib.

Although the tape is not a bad and easy option because I only use a small piece at the leading edge.

Ton

Greetings

Could you please clarify if the carbon rods need to be of the woven construction which is more rigid, or if the cheaper pulltruded rods are sufficient?

Info for all:

"A pulltruded tube has all the fibres directed down the length of the tube. This is stronger than woven tube in tension but has lower torsional strength and stiffness."

Perhaps the woven tube would reduce the possibility off flutter.

Warren

Hi Warren

The rods in my kit are pulltruded. With such a small diameter the difference in torsional strength would be minimal and the cost significant.

My build has been delayed as I have to finish the kitchen!

I am planning to install a aero tow release similar to this courtesy of scale soaring UK.It is simple and light, I have used it on bigger models before with no problem. I will be using our club electric trainer as the tug

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Fuselage and tail feathers built. I had I intended to build the wings first for a change!

Started the centre panel .end ribs have 6mm*1mm magnets in to hold the outer panels in place. I made a balsa rib as a template and made the hole halfway through the rib with sharpened 6 mm brass tube then picked the middle out with a scalpel.will add photos when I work out how!

Edited By Steve Sheppard on 06/04/2018 19:35:03

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I went for it - and ordered a kit from SMC which was delivered yesterday. It contains an enormous rolled plan and a lot of wood with C/F spars. Apparently the diameter of spars in the outer panels has been increased because of reported flutter when launching. Can’t do any harm for a tiny weight increase. Our club is proposing to hold a comp next summer for 2M F3-RES gliders using a standard bungee. Some others have ordered gliders from Hyperflight but I thought they seemed a bit light for UK conditions. The RES Eagle is a bit heavier than those but with about the same wing loading and a viable wing section, AG36. I also have the March 2018 article and plan which I’ve studied.

buster,

Great that you will be building the Res-Eagle and looking forward to some build pics.

For the hook position its not clear to me that its on the RCME located at 73mm, because all my cad drawings show the 63mm position.

Could be that the RCM&E made a small error using 73 instead of 63mm, but it could be better to use the 73mm to have a steeper angle on the climb and to keep the speed down.

The closer the hook to the cg the steeper the model will go up on the line, would be nice to test both if you like.

Cheers, Ton

Thanks for replying Ton. I’ll make positions for the tow hook to be fitted at either location then. Front 63mm for windy conditions and rear at 73mm if it’s calm. I was surprised that the present plan includes details to fit a motor, if I wanted another 2M E-Glider I’d have bought the Red Eagle kit instead.

Its getting more clear now its the modification which RBCkits has done.

The motor on the drawing is because a customer asked RBC to do the mod.

Its not me who did the mod, but I think its a good option to have both, but your right for E-flight the RedEagle would have been a good choice.

Funny when you design a model there is always someone who wants something different.

Great that you selected the Res-Eagle as a glider and Iam sure you will like it.

Cheers, Ton