RES-Eagle Glider RCME March 2018

Ton van Munsteren

Time is going fast and Iam looking forward to the summer evening to fly my RES-Eagle some more.

I will start here a thread about my new glider and will post all the pics I have.

Hope you like it and start your build to be ready for the summer.

Here some pics to start with.

res-eagle (3).jpg

res-eagle and redeagle.jpg

RES-Eagle and the RedEagle which I think you all know, both model are 2mtr wingspan

img_5905.jpg

img_5829.jpg

img_5859.jpg

img_5882.jpg

img_5899.jpg

More pics later.

Cheers

Ton

Advert

Lovely looking bird Ton!

My copy of the mag came yesterday and I was reading the article and studying the plans

I've been thinking of a building a 2m RES model for a while now... once I've finished everything else I've got going on! There's an informal 2m bungee-launched challenge league over on the BARCS website, which is duration-based (in the absence here of full competitions as practiced on the Continent) for which your RES Eagle looks perfect.

Any idea how long before the full kit is available from RBC?

Jon

Edited By Jonathan M on 13/02/2018 11:00:40

Although not mentioned in this months RCM&E, I think the model is compliant with the F3-RES rules that are used across Europe and USA. Its a great beginners introduction class into competitive thermal soaring. BARCS runs a postal event for the class. Please PM me if you are interested

Martyn

NOOOO!!!! I’m in the middle of my RedEagle build. Now I’m going to have to build a RES eagle as well.

I like it Ton. I think there will be quite a bit of interest at my club. I might check out getting a full kit this time instead of cutting out everything from planks of balsa. Depends on shipping costs to Australia.

Thanks for a great looking design. Do you think it would go alright on coastal sand dunes?

TP

Hi Ton,

This looks great and the kit of parts has now arrived. You mentioned possibly using all 6mm rods in the article. Do you recommend that as it will be a pain enlarging all the holes in the ribs and getting them correctly centred.

Also, how are you fixing the rods when two meet side by side? It's difficult to tell from the photos or plan.

Thanks, Peter

Peter, thanks for selecting the RES-Eagle for your next project.

You can modify to 6mm using a file which runs from 4 to 6mm, it works fine and holds the hole in the centre.

Fixing the rods were they meet, is reinforced, with a small piece of rod chamfered and glued on top.

For all who are interested in the RES-Eagle cnc set for RBCkits,

Sorry should have done it earlier but will modify the file for RBC to 6mm, so new sets will hopefully have the modification for the 6mm carbon spar.

When you will use the 4mm spar it won't be a problem but you need to make sure to keep the speed down.

I had the flutter in a dive and one time on the bungee, when I pulled not enough elevator and let the speed to build up to much. But that was on a RES completion bungee, not the red silicon bungee from Hobby King which I use most of the time.

Cheers

Ton

Thanks for that extra info Ton

The Eagle is on my shortlist of two for a RES model, so its good to know that the modified version should be available.

One other question: The plans show 9g servos for the rudder and elevator and the text supports this, adding that the model will need the extra weight to balance anyway. But the drawings show a smaller 5g servo for the spoiler, whereas in the article I think you suggest a 9g for this as well. So 9g servos all round or a smaller one for the spoiler?

Jon

Peter,

Hoping to make it more clear here a little detail on the reinforcement.

detail 1.jpg

This is how it should look like with a 6mm spar.

img_5932.jpg

Here is the detail on my RES-Eagle which is with the 4mm spar and reinforcement on top.

Jon,

Yes it looks like the scale of the servo is not correct, because it should be a 9 gr servo. Thanks for mentioning.

Here's a pic to show you, more pics later.

img_5970.jpg

Cheers

Ton

Hi Ton,

A couple more questions.

The kit supplied by RBCkits has the trailing edge cut from 4mm balsa rather than the 6mm specified on the plan. Is this a problem? Should I try to laminate the extra 2mm on?

Also, what type of glue do you recommend for the Carbon/ balsa and carbon/Carbon joints?

Thanks, Peter

Hi Peter,

Sorry that will be my mistake, because on the file I told RBC it should be 4mm, but on the drawings its 6mm.

But to be honest 4mm is a better choice, because you will have to send less and only need to make the chamfer from the rib to the trailing edge.

Here is a detail of how it will finally look like on your model when its sanded into shape.

detail te.jpg

Hope the pic makes it all clear.

Ton

Thanks for the updates.

For the CA, I'll use the ones from Deluxe Materials as I love their stuff.

I now have the carbon rods and the information I need to get started. Once I've finished the Acrowot kit that I'm part through, I'll start this.

Hopefully it'll be ready before we run out of summer!

Thanks for your help.

Peter