FrSky & Helicopters

WayneB

Advert

I have flybarred and fbl helis (TRex 500 and 550) running with Taranis and OpenTX. Fbl were easy to set up because all the clever programming is in the fbl controller (BeastX in my case); flybarred was a bit more involved, but not a big problem.

If you've already got a Taranis, I would say go for it. I use X4R receivers in my fbl helis and, I think, an X8R in the flybarred (away from home for a couple of days, so can't check).

I'm using an X9D on a vintage Schluter Heliboy (collective), and also on an even older Schluter Cobra (fixed pitch).

On the collective models, it pays to be careful where you apply the throttle curves! On my first attempt, I applied them where my (years out-of-date) programming experience told me they *should* be applied, and ended up with a very hot start on one occasion!

**LINK**

This describes the potential issue and how to avoid it. I'm still using OpenTx-2.1.9 and its possible the issue may have been addressed in 2.2.X. If you read down the linked thread, you'll see that MikeB (who also posts on here) had a proposed fix for the Ersky9x version, and it may have trickled through to 2.2.

That is the only "Gotcha" I've come across. Everything else is quite straightforward, and much more flexible than any other system I've come across.

Hope this helps!

--

Pete

I've recently started using FrSky and so far converted my Mini Titan. Seems to fly fine. I'm using OpenTx 2.2. I've also got a couple of vintage Morley F1's that I plan to get flying with FrSky as well. Once I'm happy with these the plan is to move more models over...