Hello all

Bob Skidmore

Hello guys and gals.I suppose I could be classed as another "returnee". When I was about 24yrs old I met a chap called Ian Peacock (some of you will know him as the airbrush guru). Well, Ian had this idea that it was possible to teach someone to fly using a low-wing sports aircraft. He provided a glass-fibre sport model with sheet skinned foam wings and showed me how to build and paint it. After about 6 weeks she looked gorgeous and I bought my Radio gear (Fleet) and engine (Irvine 40). On its maiden flight, Ian took off and after a short while flew it into the sun, lost sight of it and she came down with a thump.  Back to the building shed and after effecting repairs we set off again. This time Ian trimmed her out and after satisfying himself that she was behaving properly, handed me the box. Not too long after I had control something awful happened... The model stuck at full throttle and started a high-speed dive almost vertically, back to mother earth. I handed the box immediately to Ian but the poor bloke didn't stand a chance. The model struck with such force that the engine had to be dug out of the ground, everything else shattered into millions of tiny little pieces. There was no rebuilding it this time  and that signalled the end to my R/C Flying days.Here I am at 51yrs of age and have just lost my aviation medical, so no more flying real aircraft for me . 2 or 3 years ago I bought three aircraft from eBay (Piper Cub; Cessna 172 and chipmunk) Being full time employed etc I didn't really have the time so they have just been hanging up in my garage awaiting attention. I also bought the JR Propo X-387 radio gear from eBay at the same time. I am now semi-retired and it's time to try R/C again. Last night (or was it the early hours of this morning) I ordered the Nijhuis Sky40 trainer plans pack from www.myhobbystore.com  as I am keen to build something from plans and this seemed to be a good place to start. All three planes from eBay require some TLC and will be restored to flight. The Cessna doesn't look like it needs much and may well be my trainer while I'm building the Sky 40. I will be guided by the guys at my local field (Norton, Nr Daventry, Northants) who I hope to meet this afternoon.Well, I've probably bored you all to tears by now, so I'll say TTFN for now and hope to speak to you again soon.

Advert

Hello Bob and welcome.

Yeah, the Cessna should be ok while you are building the Sky 40, which is a nice model, but be careful at slow speeds, the one I have flown had tip stall tendencies (note I say HAD , the guy who owned it put it in last week).

Leave the Chippy for now because they do tip stall

All the best,

Simon.

hi all been reading all the messages on the forom and thought i'd say hi. nearly come off my bike today so have decided i need a new hobby that i wont hurt myself with ? sounds like a lot of fun and a generally speaking good community uyou have here ?

im intrested in learning to fly and the thought of making my own plane from either a kit or plans. any ideas ??

Hello Simon, and welcome to the mad house

Before Birdy or Timbo get there first, can you fill in your profile so that we know a bit about you.

The best way to start in this fasinating hobby, is to visit a local club if you can, and they will put you on the right route to get started. Also read the beginners sections on this forum.

All the best,

Simon.