Printing whole threads off the forum.

reg shaw

Hi technical peeps, is there a way of printing a whole build thread as a document? I'm sure I saw one printed out that just contained the thread and none of the adverting and banners. Is it possible? I want a paper copy of my Bertie Bassett Flying Flea build as it contains some details and pictures that I don't have any more.

Many thanks, Ian.

Advert

Scratching our heads in the back room at present, Ian - the whole pages may be a problem but you could select details in posts and save them as an image using the Windows Snipping Tool, for example. If it's text, you should be able to copy it off as a text file.

In respect of pics, try right-clicking on them, 'Save Image As' or whatever your browser describes the process as, and save them to your PC. I've just tried a random pic and got a very keepable result.

We'll check with the techies on the whole page question.

Pete

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 05/06/2018 20:23:41

I've found that it is possible to cut and paste just the forum posts. You just have to be very careful what you highlight before cutting.

I found a combination of Chrome browser for cutting and Word for pasting best, but with Word set up in landscape mode.

From there you can edit the text, take out unnecessary spaces, even remove whole posts. Just generally tidy up.

The trouble is that leaves it very large on the page and taking up lots of pages in word.
From there I have printed the word doc to pdf, scaling it to A5 as it went. That at least reduces the size.
Maybe it could be printed double sided and maybe with 2 of the A5s per A4 page?

Does anyone know how to shrink everything in a word doc in one hit?

Chris

I had a quick play and I have to say that I don't see the logic in using landscape. If I paste in portrait mode in Word, then 'select all' (CTRL-A) and then click on 'decrease font size' to reduce the text size, I find I get a pretty good result.

The bit I can't figure out is how to automatically append the multiple pages within a thread. I suspect I would need to edit the html source code to do that...

Ah, I see.

My variation, then, was to paste into A3 portrait in word, and then it works without losing half the photos. It can then be printed onto A4 using 'scale to fit paper'.

The 'decrease font size' only works on the text, but I discovered a cool trick to rescale the pictures, if the size is needed to be reduced. First, select the first picture, and rescale it using the resize dialogue box, then click okay to make the box disappear. then click on the next picture, and hit 'F4' - it scales to the same size as the first one. You can then reduce all of the other pictures with a single key press - just by selecting it and hitting F4.

How have I survived this long without knowing that trick???