frsky X6R telemetry range

Rick Tee

I recently bought a Taranis Tx and some receivers X6R and X8R , when range testing the X6R I reached about 20 paces before getting RSSI warnings while facing away from the model, at 40 paces facing the model RSSI was around 45 - 48 but the model responded fine to controls and flew with no issues. Couple of days ago I received 2 more X6R's but somehow I'd made a mistake with the order and they are not EU LBT. I flashed one to EU LBT and fitted it to a model. But when range testing I could not get 20 paces without getting a RSSI critical alert. Tried rebinding and having someone hold the model off the ground but no change. Is this a telemetry range issue and is it ok to fly if the range check is ok otherwise? It does look like I should have bought the RX8R receivers instead.

Advert

Were you walking away from the model with the transmitter held in front of you ie was your body between you and the receiver? If that's the case then you will get RSSI warnings even as close as that. I use a lot of X6R and 8XR receivers with first my Taranis and now my Horus 10x and I've never had any RSSI warnings when flying.

Even the non-telemetry small 4 channel receivers have a range that still works far beyond my visual flying range (I've had a non-radio related fly away when I eventually lost orientation and lost the model). There is no problem with the range of any Frsky receivers in my experience of using DiY modulles, Taranis or Horus transmitters for as long as they've been available.

Geoff

With the Rx I flashed to the latest EU LBT (X8R_EU_build1702102) I get RSSI warnings low RSSI and critical RSSI at less then 20 paces facing the model, any further gives the critical RSSI warning then loss of telemetry but the model still responds to input. I've just flashed another X6R to X8R_LBT_build151118 I'll test it tomorrow if the weather forecast is correct. smiley

Thanx for the help. smiley