Riot xl

Has anyone had any problems hitting the balance point of 85 to 95 mm back from leading edge at root. I am guessing that that the undercarriage should be raking forward as per illustrations. I am needing in the region of 8ozs lead in the nose this can surely not be right. I am using batteries in the recommended range.

Advert

• 2 months later...
Posted by Alan Cardwell 1 on 14/06/2018 14:35:58:

Has anyone had any problems hitting the balance point of 85 to 95 mm back from leading edge at root. I am guessing that that the undercarriage should be raking forward as per illustrations. I am needing in the region of 8ozs lead in the nose this can surely not be right. I am using batteries in the recommended range.

+1

Mines the Air Titan and to all intents and purposes the same model. To get close to 85mm from LE my bench tests reveal I'm going to need 450g of dead weight in the front fuse section above the battery bay, which is ridiculous. I did a test flight with the CoG at the best spot I could at 100mm from LE but it was very tail heavy and flew terrible. After some head scratching I've decided to extend the motor on stand offs by 7.5cm. It should still look ok in the cowl albeit protruding. This will do two things: 1) increase the leverage of the motor. 2) create more space in the stand of area to add any additional ballast that may be required. The only problem I can see is the thin firewall being able to take the weight leverage. I might have to strengthen it with 6mm ply, which will also help the weight issue.

There's aren't cheap models and for the money a design issue like this is v. disappointing. That said, it should be a good heavy weight leccy foamy to beat the British wind, hopefully yes