Ben Buckle Mini Super - Build

Hello,

Welcome to my build blog on the Ben Buckle Mini Super. I have decided to build this model from a kit, and I may use either Diesel or Electric power. This depends on weather I deem my Irvine 20 diesel engine a good choice for this model. Ben buckle says that it is suitable for a 10-15 size diesel engine, and i'm not yet sure if a 20 is a stretch. Either way, the build will be rather self explanatory as is the way with most Ben Buckle models. It will be built as a 3 channel RC model with Diesel power or Electric. My past experience with Ben Buckle kits has been nothing but positive, so I am looking forward to the build.

Advert

The engine was kindly given to me by a fellow model flyer. I can only assume that the Irvine 20 had not been run in a while as there was a build up of fuel waste products. Under the advice of the person who gave it to me, I scrubbed the engine in its own fuel using an old toothbrush. The results were quite good as seen below:image7.jpegimage6.jpegimage5.jpeg

Onto the construction of the fuselage,

I covered the plans in decorators dust sheet from B&Q which provides a nice anti-stick layer in order to not join the model to its plans. Then, I made up the bottom and top strip wood shapes that make up the outline of the basic fuselage side. After doing this, I began placing the longerons and the diagonals after that. The fuselage side turned out nicely and did not stick to the plans. I now only need to make up some gussets which I will reinforce with ply as when I come to drill holes in them for dowels, I don't want them pulling through the balsa when elastic bands are on the model.

image3.jpegimage2.jpegimage1.jpeg

Thanks for the reply Percy,

I welcome the advice you have offered me. It's nice to have that different perspective on the build. With regards to the fuel tubing, luckily I have some tygon tubing that works nicely with the Diesel and doesn't dissolve over time. And in response to your advice on removing the fuselage side from the building board, I thank you for the help. I removed the piece because I needed to get at something underneath it on the plans however, any warps in the piece I am confident can be removed when I join the two halves together. Luckily for me, the fuselage side came out nice and straight!,

Thanks, Luccaaa

Hi Percy,

When I constructed my Ben Buckle Super 60 and my Junior 60 I did indeed leave the fuselage sides pinned to the board. Then I also build the other fuselage half on top of the first to ensure they are identical. I plan to do this again for the mini super. I appreciate your advice on the warps, obviously you know what your talking about! However, the fuselage side came out very straight with no warps in it so there is no cause for concern just yet. Thanks for keeping me alert though, it certainly is helpful advice for future builds.

Thanks a lot,

Luccaaa

I don't currently have a building jig, but I will certainly look into it for the future. Seems like you have had worse luck with BB kits than myself, all of the kits I have built so far have actually had quite good wood quality... Obviously Ben Buckle need to have a higher standard for their kits or at least a better supply of wood. That being said however, with my Junior 60, I did indeed leave the fuselage side pinned to the bench when I made it and then built the other on top of it and it did warp slightly inwards. I sprayed the component with a very light coat of water and left it under a large hardback book overnight and that seemed to solve the problem.

Looks like a very useful piece of kit Percy, I shall certainly look into one. I do build fairly often so that should help me quite a lot.

Hi Piers, thanks for the encouragement, I should be continuing with the second half of the fuselage some time later today (after I have been down to the flying field to take advantage of this wonderful weather).

Well then,

After a nice few hours of flying at the club I am back and building. I have made up the second fuselage side and build it on top of the first side to ensure they are identical. I have used decorators dust sheet to separate the two sides and stop them being joined when the second was built. They are looking quite good and the second side came out exactly the same as the first. Now, I am just waiting for the glue to dry before I give both of the sides a sand round the edge to get rid of any anomalies in their construction. Perhaps later today I will have time to join the two sides, if not, I will attempt to do so within the week.

side24.jpeg

side23.jpeg

side22.jpeg

side21.jpeg

side2.jpeg

Hi Percy,

If I moved my laptop then I wouldn't be able to watch Star Trek as I go! That is absolutely essential in modelling for me laugh. I have indeed used proper sanding tools before and they are very helpful. This was simply just a piece of sanding paper I had near me, I only needed to take a small bit off a piece I cut. I am aware of the dust being relatively near the computer which is why I don't actually sand next to it. I simply had the paper on the desk when I took the photo.

Looking good Luccaaa......I like a nice Mini Super.....they fly very well....wink 2

Your Irvine 20 diesel will be just fine....the first ever RC model I saw (1976) was a Mini Super...fitted with an Enya 19 glow & it flew very nicely. As Percy says you can always back off the compression a tad to lose some power but as it has a throttle I don't think this will be necessary...pop a 10x4 prop on it & enjoy....thumbs up

So here is my Final effort for the weekend:

I have joined the fuselage sides by the two main formers at the nose and then pegged the tail together at the end. It has come out nice and square thanks to the assistance of a set square. Over the week when I have time I will begin to put in the other pieces connecting the two sides and then go from there. It's not looking bad so far, but that can change in a hurry!

fus1.jpeg

fus2.jpeg

fus1.jpeg

Well then,

I have put in some infills at the nose of the aircraft and the tail section. Next step is to start putting in the strip wood between the two sides and once those are in place I will put in the gussets and anything other important structural features.

infill3.jpg

infill1.jpg

So, after a nice morning of flying, I turned on star trek and began to build. I have put in all the strip wood needed to connect the two fuselage sides. I have started to reinforce the cabin area as I know that can be a weak point on these Ben Buckle models. Once the glue has dried I will install the gussets, window shaping and servo mounting points. I will then sand down the fuselage to get out any rough edges or unwanted bits.

joined``.jpeg

joined`.jpeg

So, I've finally got to the point where I can sand it down. I have installed most of the gussets needed and the window shaping. I have reinforced the gussets with light ply on the back so when the dowels are installed they will not wear down the holes over time. Then I've given the whole thing a sand down, and it is looking quite good. I have ordered radio gear and things are arriving soon. The next thing to do with the fuselage is to install the servos and mark up where the tank and rx battery will be placed:

sand3.jpeg

sand2.jpeg

sand1.jpeg