Mounting an engine inverted?

Tim Kearsley

Hi all,

Having now got to the stage where I am ready to mount the engine in my Hangar 9 Mustang, I see that the manual indicates it should be mounted upside-down.  As a complete newcomer to I.C. engines, I have two questions, and I apologise if they are daft!

1)  Is it OK to mount a 4-stroke glow engine inverted?  by "OK" I suppose I really mean, will it start OK and continue to run OK?

2)  How do you get to the glow plug in an inverted engine to apply Volts when you start it?  I'm presuming here that a remote glow connection is the answer?  I've seen advertised an arrangement where you fix a small jack socket to the fuse and this connects to the glow plug and allows a normal starter to be applied.

3)  I know I said two questions but this third question is nothing to do with mounting the engine inverted!  The engine I will be putting in to the Mustang is a Saito 1.00 - can this be started by hand or should I buy an electric starter?

As you can see, I am a raw beginner in I.C., so please be gentle!

Cheers,

Tim.

Advert

1) - Yes. Sometimes there are problems with tank position etc, so ensure the tank feed is at the same height as the carb.

2) - The same way you do with an upright engine, but you start the model upside down (in a cradle). Or you can use a remote glow.

3) - Saitos are very good engines and it will probably allow you to hand start it, eventually. New engines are often quite tight so a starter will help with the first few starts. Make sure you use the right, good quality glowplug.

Good luck.

I have had no problems with my inverted saitos and I start engine with model right way up.

I store models nose up to avoid residual oil running down into plug.

4 strokes like to start wet with fuel so I block silencer for a few hand turns until I am sure fuel is thru, then I flick propeller to ensure I haven't flooded it.

make sure throttle is in idle position then hand spin the nose cone back against the compression and if the engine is wet enough it will fire against the backspin and run forward.

dont try to start a saito with full throttle open - mine backfired and shocked the bearings.

good luck

John

I would recommend starting the Saito 100 with a starter motor as Saito's can have an agressive start and if you are not used to starting them by hand it could catch you off guard, John is right about the back spin/flick start for Saito's as the compression is so high that it's the only way, although I would never get my hand that close to the prop (spin the spinner!!), if the model moves at all the prop will get you and a 100 Saito is not short of power.

I anchor my models at the back and make sure i have pulled it as far forward as possible to ensure it cannot come any further forward.

I used to chicken stick backwards but have converted to the simple twist of the nosecone - ever so easy as long as engine wet and got a good glow on.