Stabilisation

Posted by Robin Mosedale 1 on 06/09/2018 12:18:19:

Another test yesterday. Now trims reset and level attitude. 3D feels very odd, 2D very effective as soon as sticks centred, but even with gain up max, buffeting not really countered.

Test touch and go's: with 2D engaged, set up on heading for approach, and use throttle for height control. Seemed very effective. Repeated with unit disengaged, just as good. So not conclusive.

Not sure about this as yet, but persevere, as it's really a 'get out of trouble' for more tricky scale stuff rather than a simple trainer.

You are right Robin

I had to fit and test different units to different models for a magazine article.

The least effective was fitted to foamie or a trainer, though they did kick in in the wind

The most effective use was in models with some enertia over 6lb AUW

And Warbirds were tamed somewhat at lower speeds, but still needed flying with respect.

All the stabilisers tested worked best at the lowest possible setting, where their surface movement was barely seen by eye

Advert

"But they will not throttle up."

Yup,

Just as I do with full size, alt controlled with throttle

Posted by Denis Watkins on 07/09/2018 20:17:39:

Used properly, stabilisation is fine Robin, but don't forget that they will maintain straight and level

But they will not throttle up.

Maintain speed as normal, and any crosswind will be taken care of too

• 1 month later...

Not very pleased.

Aircraft started to behave very oddly, not as before. Difficult to gain control as to what seemed to be resisting my commands, whatever mode, including manual mode.

Examination revealed that the multi-connector from the RX to the unit, had slipped. It's flimsy and doesn't secure very well.

Nearly lost control. If I bother to refit, this connector will be secured bound with tape