My new Phase 3 F-16 thoughts...

stuey

Got the EF16 first flight in at lunchtime.
Had the foamy squadron out today.  Worked up in speed before the F16.  The maiden  was a big non-event, it blasted out of my hand-launch and only needed 1 click of down trim.  All the Phase 3 EF16s I have flown have been excellent flyers, they definitely got the design right.  Anyway, I could tell it was faster than my first one, but it didn't feel like the hoped for 120...........................wrong!!

I managed 7 Doppler runs, 4 were useable and all above 120, with the fastest being  121.8 +/- 1.1 mph.  No wind at all today to affect, as shown by negligible difference in the L-R, R-L speeds (did the Squall again too).  3:30 flight used 85% the pack capacity, so I'll reduce the timer to 3 minutes for the next session. 
Pete

Edited By Dizz on 18/10/2009 20:27:11

Advert

• 4 weeks later...
Only applies to the HP version.  If yours is from the second shipment Paul it will be fine, I got my second Squall last week and it was sorted.  If you look at  the fan blades they will have a textured finish like very fine wet and dry.

Back to the EF-16,,,,,,,,,,, I have bought a 35C 2200mAh 4S pack which I hope will give a bit more power than the 25C 2500 and get it to 125mph.  Won't be this weekend though with the forecast down here
Pete

Edited By Dizz on 13/11/2009 21:32:31

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have just finished fitting a new fan/motor combo to my F-16. I am trying a Dons 60mm fan with his 4000kv cool wind motor on 4S 2250 Loong max packs. Just measured the power, it is making a bit over 560W on a fresh pack, settling down to about 520W and 36A after about 30 sec. The model now weighs 725g/25.6oz before the new paint job I will do after the remaiden, so I make that 325w/lb after the pack has settled. It feels like it has slightly more than 1:1 thrust as it wants to climb vertical from my hand at full throttle. I am hoping it will nudge the 100mph mark, fingers crossed!

Edited By stuey on 06/02/2010 11:45:02

• 2 weeks later...
I actually got to fly today and try my F-16 with the new setup. It launches without a dip, which is lucky because the belly is quite slippery after the glass and poly-c and its hard to get much grip. i plan to add a strip of glass paper each side in front of the cheater holes. I would say if the stock setup can hit the mid 70mph range, it might be in the mid 90's now. It had enough vertical to become a dot, which is enough really. Handling seems similar to before with the extra weight, need a slight breeze to try the high alpha. Now time to give it a more realistic scheme, with a little bit of bright yellow retained

OK. 
I use my phone or MP3 player to record the pass - I set t going and then leave it on the ground on the far side of the patch so the fly past is right over the top.
Nice morning for it down here..............pity our site has been sold to a developer
Pete

Posted by stuey on 21/02/2010 10:04:15:
Sad to hear about your patch. I have a camera that can record video clips, if I set it running and leave it pointing up into the sky, then make a low pass over the top of it will that work?
 Yep, that will work Stuey.  Best results from a level straight run right over the top with approx 5 seconds before and 5 Seconds after of steady conditions. 
I use my MP3 player becuse it saves as a .wav file and cuts out a bit of file manipulation.
I'll have a go at Ben's video later this evening if I can ever get Windows back on my Netbook - no flying and 5 hours faffing, what a waste!
Pete

• 2 weeks later...
im on my second one of these flew my first one through a fence on its second flight the second has done 100+ flights it is fantastic in windy conditions i run it on 2200 3s battery with flight time around 6 mins i put it away last year but it needs to come back out to play. i have been flying a slipstream from flying wings for my speed buzz and windy conditions + it will bouce off fences. i have been looking at the e flite hawk for this year anyone flown one of these

• 3 months later...
Bought a spare Phase 3 kit complete at Weston Park today (last one from Motors and Rotors)and was very impressed to see that it comes with a re-enforced tail plane mount (same extra plates as we have been making and applying ourselves) and a 68mm 5 blade fan - the same one as in the 3S Squall. Still only a 30 amp 3S ESC, but the same retail price as the Mk1.  Didn't check the security of the tailplane bearings and unfortunately wont be able to either as my mate was desperate to own one so, have let him have it to replace later.
Had a couple of flights with mine on Saturday evening - the new 40C 2200 4S seemed to make a difference, I think it was faster, but didn't doppler it though.  Will take it to Woodsprings 3/4 July and get some proper runs in.
Regards
Pete

Edited By Dizz on 21/06/2010 00:41:43

• 1 month later...
Here are a couple of pics of my F-16 now finished. It is covered with 0.6oz cloth and Poly-C. I am still learning as far as that technique goes, hopefully improving with each model. I nearly lost the model just after the photos due to a lockout, which was not a brownout as the led remained solid.