horus -RX8R issue Help please

Tim Ballinger

Just acquired a new HORUS X 10.

Bound the Tx and RX8R in D16 with Telemtry enabled on ch 1-8 during bind.

Works but continually drops out ( red light on Rx) when you transmit. Servos hang/stutter or even got to failsafe.

Tried without telemetry and it works fine but does not of course report rx battery voltage.

Still on the FrSky OS atm.

Anyone know what I am missing or does the Tx have an issue?

tim

Advert

So it seems like Rx volts causing the issue. I was using my test battery pack ( 4 pen cells) which were measuring 4.2V as per the telemetry which was above the Rx min spec of 3.5 so I thought all would be well. Changed to 6v Nimh pack and all was well. Clearly transmitting the Tm was too much for the 4.2V pack which I guess must have dipped below the min 3.5V when transmitting. I will put some fresh batteries in my test pack to prove this.

Panic over I think.

Tim

Certainly it was servo actuation that caused the drop but I was surprised the TM made a difference but it was the same result on another Rx so must have been on the cusp so to speak and certainly had me concerned about the new kit for a while. Never seen it before with my hitec kit and I always used the same dry cell pack for bench testing.

However testing is happily moving on with 6 servos on ch 9 - 14 running off the Sbus through a bangwood dechannelizer meaning I will be down to 1 lead to the wings for more complex models. The voltage sensor provides me with cell count and total voltage as well as the standard Rx ( or Ubec) voltage all on the home screen which I also like.

Carrying on up the learning curve. Not learnt enough yet to decide on open Tx . First impression is The FrSky OS does seem very capable in its own right.

Tim

Interesting stuff Tim. I don't 'need' a new transmitter but the 'solid' ACCST protocol, cheap Rx and the versatility of the programming makes it seem attractive from several perspectives. I have been watching a few of Lee Schofield's uTube excellent videos about the open source software for Taranis and wonder if I would be brave (foolish) enough to go that route or stick with the FrSky OS. I think I might struggle with the open source Tx software, or at least it would be a very steep learning curve for me.

By the way, what feature mainly influenced you to decide on the Horus rather than the older Taranis? Obviously the Horus is the latest and presumably more capable Tx.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 27/08/2018 08:52:35

Funnily enough Tim, I had a similar problem setting up a model on an old. poor, battery pack but had forgotten about it until I saw your resolution.

If it helps Piers I chose the Horus as an upgrade from my Taranis based on the internal aerial and the colour screen interface, it's much easier to programme on the fly and the range of information via "Widgets" that can be displayed is endless. It also has Hall Sender sticks which feel great.

I still use my Taranis and love it.

OpenTx is a learning curve but not as steep as is sometimes made out, I've found it hugely rewarding in terms of the level of adjustment and personalisation I can make with it. Some great documentation out there to help but as ever it depends on what you want to do.

Forgot to say the PC based OpenTx Companion is fantastic.

Piers,

Well I guess I had no sentimental attachment to Taranis as I did not have one so that was one hurdle out of the way ! I also had no requirement to transfer model setups which some folks have found a bit of a chore.

I have been very happy with my HiTec flash 7 but Hitec development decisions left me without a development route that was future proofed and I wanted better TM support and and voice alarms and a little more programming flexibility.

I think there were 3 things that chose the Horus 10 for me.

1. I tried a friends TX for look and feel first and compared with Taranis and indeed my own HiTec, the look and feel is a world apart and while entirely subjective, does give the feel of quality engineering.

2. The internal JXT and antenna diversity without the need for an ext antenna I think is a good engineering and ergonomic design.

3. The Frsky OS looked really good if I did not want the overheads of OpenTx.

Withe regard to Open Tx , I downloaded companion to my Mac and spent a couple of weeks playing with OpenTx. Personally I did not find it overly complex or daunting and despite the many statements that it would be radically different concept to other radio OS i had no real issues. (might be my engineering and IT based background of course but I would have thought most Rc flyers would cope).There seems to be a requirement to keep unto date with the latest OpenTx versions which I suspect is not entirely necessary once you have a stable setup, however this is an overhead and as a matter of best practice I would always try and keep up to date on releases.

So in short Horus offed me the possibility of a more mature inbuilt OS and the option to Go open Tx if I was not satisfied . With Taranis I suspect I would have been committed to Open Tx .

As I say I have only had it a few days and am still 'playing'.

Tim

Thank you Devcon1, very helpful.

Thank you Tim, glad I didn't dive in and buy a Taranis straight off, as clearly the Horus is an improvement. and warrants a lot more further investigation. I don't have great IT skills but I have quite a lot of patience and I enjoy a challenge!  

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 27/08/2018 10:42:43