Hi Everyone

James 1

Advert

Times have moved on and it's sometimes difficult to convince a returnee to the hobby that what was started out on half a century or more ago (mainly because that's all there was then) is not generally a good move in 2018. I know that foam models have come in for a pasting for all sorts of reasons, but where they have had an undoubted positive effect on the hobby is getting a beginner up and away with a four channel model that will fly pretty much out of the box, usually electric, no faffing about with engines and will fly in quite breezy weather - and unless you really stove one into the deck, can be patched up and away again with not much effort or expense. A stabilisation system and panic button (article in new RCM&E is very interesting) may well also be a big help for some. I hesitate to say it, but they can be a bit too easy to fly, particularly landings, and bad habits can creep in.

It's just the amount of stick time you can get on a simulator DD - it's just so very much more than you can get at the field with an instructor. And the cost is minimal. There is lots it won't do, and you will need to adjust the reflexes you learn on the sim to the real world. But they really are superb tools.

Excellent for seasoned flyers in dark winter hours too. Brush up your maneuvers and keep the thumbs from going rusty.

• 1 month later...

Hi James - BTW sorry to have messed up your other thread (Hopefully, I have a moderator sorting this now !). Looks like you've already discovered EPP a real 'wonder' material this. In your position a few years ago, I built an SAS "Wildthing" flying wing glider bought on a modelling holiday and recommended by the late Dave Boddington no less.

It has taught me so much. It bent a dog-stake through 30 degrees when I got a bungee launch wrong and it has been bounced off chimney pots, fences, through trees...you name it, all with minimal damage and easily repaired. Even with club members to 'hold-your-hand' you will still get upsets etc. A Spitfire with its small tail surfaces will be a real handful to learn on. You have to get used to dealing with different winds, apparent control reversal when it comes towards you plus fairly advanced electrical and radio installations etc

I would love a Spit' (or, Hurricane) but, my flying is just not up to it at present. If you must go this route though, how about a PSS Spit' model with 'gyro stabilisation'. We have one at our club - a Mark 9 I think, and you could add nice detailing, paint schemes etc. Later, you could add retracts, brushless motor /ESC and practice real take-offs and landings.

Just a different take on things really but something to think about maybe ?

Dave