Hubsan H107P+

Nick Lewis 1

I have just bought one of these as a first quadcopter. After a frustrating start because the manual and the aircraft must have been produced by two strangers who rarely spoke to each other, I now have it flying and can proceed to raise my skill level.

However, the power-up routine that I have to follow differs significantly from manual's which is, basically:

1. Power up the TX with the throttle at minimum
  2. Install the flight battery
  3. Place the quad on a level surface until the RX binds and the system levels.
  4. Open the throttle and off you go.

What I have found the process to be is:

1. Install the flight battery (you can have the TX on or not at this point - it doesn't matter because the quad is utterly unresponsive to control inputs.)
  2. Place the quad on a flat, level surface
  3. Switch the TX on and wait until the red LEDs glow solidly - the system is now levelled
  4. Pull the two TX sticks to bottom left and bottom right respectively - this starts the motors and brings them to just below take-off thrust. Release both sticks (including throttle) to neutral.
  5. Open the throttle and off you go

(I could go into details on the status of the quad's LEDs and the TX's LCD screen at the various stages, but will spare you unless someone asks.)

It goes against every ingrained habit and training to have an aircraft in front of me with an installed flight battery and active receiver, and then switch off the TX, but I can find no other way to initialise the system.

I'm posting this for two reasons. First, hoping to save someone else from the frustration I've been through trying to work all this out from the clues in the manual. And secondly, in case anyone can tell me that I've got it wrong and there is another way of powering up...

No facility to do that as far as I can tell.

The throttle is unlike any I've come across before (although that may be because I'm new to quads of course).

The quad has an "altitude hold" mode which is engaged by centring the throttle stick. To enable that to be done easily, the throttle stick is sprung centred, like everything else. It's not the normal ratchet affair, where you can leave it zeroed.

And, thinking about it, the TX LCD display is reporting the throttle percentage in the normal sense.