A hybrid from Peter's plans

Trevor Crook

I was attracted to Peters free plan for the "Destiny" a little while ago. However, despite aeromodelling for about 50 years, building has never been a strong point for me, so the elliptical wing combined with the shapely fuselage was rather daunting. Then I wondered whether that wing could fit my existing Ballerina:

ballerina 001.jpg

I did some measurements and tracing of the section, and decided it was worth a go. The root chord of the elliptical wing is a bit broader, so I re-profiled the rear underside of the root ribs and notched the t.e. to make it fit. This is the result:

ballerina e 001.jpg

ballerina e 002.jpg

I think it suits the model really well. My task was made easier because I decided to have a fuselage mounted u/c on the original model, so no u/c blocks etc needed.

I haven't flown it yet and probably won't get the chance for a couple of weeks, but will report back.

Peter, I hope you are not offended by a "mash up" of one of your designs, but I've always had the impression that you encourage people to experiment!

• 3 weeks later...

She flies! I went out yesterday afternoon and conducted a very uneventful maiden. A little down trim was needed, possibly the incidence of the new wing is slightly different with how it sits on the existing fuselage. Lateral trim was spot on, so I must have built the wing straight!

Flying characteristics were very similar. I tried a stall, which was very gentle - I shut the motor down and progressively applied up as the speed decayed. She mushed through the air before finally gently dropping a wing.

She will spin with the new wing, unlike the parallel chord one. Recovery is instant when the controls are centered.

I think the roll rate is a little faster, and she seemed a tad quicker on the landing approach, but that may have been imagined as there was no wind.

In all, a great success, which drew complimentary comments from others at the field. It's stirred my interest in building again, and the Ohmen beckons!