Sunderland Flying Boat

Advert

• 1 month later...
Posted by Bucksboy on 17/05/2009 16:43:14:
Dear All,
Here's mine, had three flights now. 

BB
 Bucks,

Looks sensational, fly mine on IC last week, fly well felt very lazy so hav decided to convert mine to electric, have 4 x turnigy 35XX @ 400watts with 8x6 props and 2 x 3700 3S batts . . .

What set up are you using and does yours take off from grass on it's belly? Oh, what was your AUW and did you have to add any weight to get the CG correct? Did you go by the plan recommendation for the CG? As I said mine felt really lazy so I calculated the CG using the conventional methods for this type of wing and it puts it about 14mm back from what is on the plan making the plan very conservative.

Be interested from other builders of this model to here about there AUW and CG etc.

Scott.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I have flown my Sunderland 6 times now, have eveninvested in another pair of 4000mah lipos and a leisure battery for field charging - Mine is 8.5lbs AUW RTF. I am so glad I put flap on it, you can really slow it down for landing it's great. Going to tidy mine up now for the water plane meeting next weekend - hope full get some better pictures.

Here is a link to me second flight - i have improved the landings now . . . with the flaps down you have to use more power!

Edited By Scott Quinn on 04/07/2009 20:07:00

• 2 weeks later...

Even better, managed to fly it off the lake! It was sensational the flaps are key as is the weight 8.45lbs, a couple of other Sunderlands were also present @ 10.5lbs they flew fast  and looked heav on the controls but still flew well.

I flew it from 10am till 7pm about 18 flights sensational!

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...