Old DX7...A ghost in the machine.

ron evans

On Sunday at the patch a club mate flew his D.F.Alpha jet. " I've got one of those" says I, "I'll bring it up on Wednesday".

It had not been used for 4 or 5 years and had a DSM2 RX installed, so it would not bind to my newest TX. My old DX7 was still in use, so I thought I'd bind it to a memory that had been vacated.

Binding was ok, and I was in the process of checking controls when the low battery alarm went off, then the radio link was lost. Strangely the LBA was also sounding on the TV.

Checking the battery off load showed 10.8 v, so I switched back on and rebound the model to another memory, everything was normal and showing 10.7v. I left the TX run, and it took 2hr to reach 9.6v.

After a recharge I did some extensive range testing and flew the A Jet today without a problem.

The LBA problem with the one model memory still persists so I think I will ground the DX7 for now.

Any thoughts on the problem gentlemen.

Ron

Advert

It's possible that one cell has gone down. The nominal voltage for a fully charged NiXX cell is around 1.5V so 7 cells (I'm assuming DX7s use 8 cell packs?) would give 10.5V (very close to your reading) and 9.1V when discharged to mid discharge somewhere around 1.3V

These figures may well be in the range of any calibration error on your display.

There are 4 models in the memory, all were working when when last used.

The displays of these memories all show the voltage being maintained, but I can't check them now as I left the TX on after flying, and got 2.5hr down to 9.6v.

I'll charge over night and try them all tomorrow. This DX7 is DSM2 only.

Ron

Edited By ron evans on 24/10/2018 22:23:57