Cant find kits.

Hi all,

well I have looked in many model shops but I cant find any that sell balsa kits that you build from scratch. What I mean is ribs cut for you along with other parts, I have loads of plans but do not want to cut the ribs and everything else my self. I have built balsa gliders put weight in them and applied tissue and dope but I havent seen an abundance of kits in shops like I used to when I was younger.

Im looking for a decent size balsa (build it yourself kit) kit, preferably to suit a IC Thunder Tiger 46 engine older than me (given to me by my dad). I would like it to be a high wing but with the ability to fly like a sports plain (Ailerons as well) and also tricicle or tail darger wheel set up.

Also if anyone knows of a balsa kit that would suit a IC 60 engine such as a super 60 with ailerons or another plain that can handle the engine but flys good.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to get kits like this it would be greatly appreciated. Ive just received two engines, the ones above and although antique there in perfect nick and deserve a good home in a plain suited to them (or a last flight lol!).

Cheers all.

Advert

Hiya Craig

Try the following - some have websites, some you'll have to look for at the shows. Google should find them fairly quickly (other search engines are available yada yada);

- Galaxy models and hobbies (home-brew galaxy kits avilable including Wizard - Magician - Mystic series, and several trike kits, albeit with foam wings)

- SLEC (at most shows - offer CNC kits for a trainer the name of which temporarily eludes me)

- DB Sport and Scale (all sorts from gliders to 1/4 scale)

- Belair Kits

- Anglia Model Centre (home of Bowman kits)

- Billkits

- Westfield models (I don't think they do a trainer - but the jets are v impressive)

Many of these kits (if they're still available) have been around for decades. NB - you WILL be able to find cheaper ARTF kits, but these will NOT give the same aftersales "I bought british" glow....

AlistairT

Craig,

Last year I obtained from Sussex Model Centre a Tony Nijhuis Trainer 40, I built it for my grandson.     Very nice model, All CNC cut.  Slec were also doing a plan and parts pack  I made it as a tail dragger. It was a good build, and the slightly tapered 72" wing makes it look different from all the 'clone' trainers one sees. 

With regard to the Tony Nijhuis Trainer 40 mentioned by Terry, I believe he is referring to the "Sky 40".

BEWARE of the cost of this model. I have just ordered it from "myhobbystore.com" £64 for plans and CNC wood pack plus £16 for two plastic components (cowls). When the pack arrived there were no plans but there was a little note in it detailing 3 further packs I need to purchase from SLEC in order to complete the model @ a further £50.30 and I haven't even started on buying the covering yet. All in all, this "trainer" will cost in excess of £130 to £150. Not something you will see mentioned on the "myhobbystore.com" website!!