Balsa wood

Advert

Hi Simon, thankyou for your info regarding balsa. the reason I asked is, I saw in a mag. that there are different hardness for balsa, and the stringers with the kit appear harder, or should I say rigid but, I will do as you suggest thankyou Reg Ball

Thankyou Eric,your replies are most helpful. I now realize the differences with balsa wood, I don t get mine from a shop, but online, and merely ask for thickness, and 18 inches long, is there something else I should be asking? like hard, soft or suchlike. I don t like asking too much or taking up someones time so I appreciate your effort thankyou Reg Ball

m'lud,

check out www.flitehook.net

John and Pauline supply balsa to the vintage and contest modelbuilders who are all very picky when choosing balsa for purpose as Eric indicates.  They will choose suitable balsa if you tell them what you want it for

there is another balsa supplier providing same sort of service but cannot recall who.

John

I'm one of those guys picky about wood, both for indoor duration and for big R/C aircraft. Balsa comes in many different densities and also cut from the log at different angles. Imagine the cross section of a log (a circle for arguments sake) now overlay the union flag and cut planks on the horizontal, vertical and diagonal. The horizontal and verticl are known as A grain, the diagonal is C grain, B grain is somewhere inbetween. A grain in medium density is what you need for stringers, the fibers are long and straight, if you are stripping it from sheet you should find it stays pretty straight once cut. C grain has a mottled silvery surface and is very strong relative to it's density. So use it for structure but bear in mind you can use thinner material (less weight) than specified for A grain. It is very stiff so can't be used for sheeting for instance. C grain is fantastic stuff if you can get it. If I can find it, I use B grain for formers (again in thinner dimension). Avoid if you can the very pale pithy, cork like balsa often available in your favorite model shop. It has very little strength so is really only suitable for non structural uses. Do ask the staff if you can look at every sheet to find what you need. A set of digital scales might be pushing things a bit far, but hey it's all priced the same. Hope this helps