Pack flat field stand

Nifty 50

Nifty,

Flew mine in anger on Sunday, just with an Acrowot and a foamy, took it more to tinker with a 20cc petrol engined Yak but it worked very well indeed. Still to fit the furniture, cup holder, ashtray etc and working on the ideal location for the ice bucket.

As was alluded, it’s as useful in the Mancave as at the strip. If you make another, I made my cradles in a Y pattern, tapered, and used amalgamating tape to hold the foam without creating hard edges. I found a dog restraint corkscrew with a swivel in a gratifyingly shiny chrome finish for not much money on Ebay as a ground anchor.

The previous scepticism from certain club mates soon evaporated and I suspect they will soon be reproducing.

BTC

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

I made the cradles adjustable so that my narrower planes were more stable in the cradles. They went from this:

field stand 3.jpg

To this:

field stand 10.jpg

field stand 11.jpg

I glued the bolts into the wood and used wing nuts to fix the sliding jaw so that spanners and screwdrivers are not necessary.

field stand 12.jpg

The bottom pipe insulation padding is kept in place by the two uprights. I am trying to figure out how to fix the bottom padding while allowing the sliding jaw to move.

Spookily, now mine’s in action at the strip there’s been some interest and a club mate has bought the components to start one, proposing to make sliding cradles like yours. He’s going to beef up the tray to stand his flight box on it.

i need another as it’s default for cradling models in the mancave now. I made curved Y-shaped crutches for mine and am very happy with them. Got the cigar clip right, cup holder still to go on and the ice bucket will have to use a cable tie but fitting the humidor used up most of the shelf so will have to be shelved .... as it were...

Can’t see how to do the slides through the foam but I will show this to clubmate Jeff Ellis, see above, who was an engineer. It’s a great bit of kit.

BTC