4.8v flat pack batt for rx

Craig Spence

Hi all,

I will soon have my first IC plane and it recomends a 4.8v flat pack battery for the reciever  and servos. My problem is I cant decide to go noraml (standard battery pack nimmh etc..) or lipo. I know lipo are brilliant as I use them in my electric planes but im wondering if they come in a size to fit my plane well.

I will be buying a 3D Prangster so the pack would have to fit into that. Any advice anyone, suggestion or ideas.

Much appreciated, cheers.

Advert

In the old days we use to run the Rx and servos on 600mah 4 cell Nicads and could get a days flying in. Now we worry that a 1500 mah pack won't last long enough. Your average Rx consumes under 200 ma and the servo's only draw power when they operate and unless they are large digitals that will only be a similar amount. I think you would easily get 3 hrs continuous flying out of a 1500 mah pack, but you tend to recharge the pack after every session and I doubt that you will get 3 hours flying in per session.

This is a typical UBEC

http://alshobbies.com/shop/lookupstock.php?pc=5401&Desc=

It's basically a voltage regulator like on a ESC to output a constant  5 or 6v to the Rx from a higher voltage battery.

• 3 months later...
I use a 2s 800 and ubec as receiver batteries in electric and IC planes with no problems.  The first 800 came with the Lama 3 helicoptor and I've since bought several more.  I don't think it's complicated and I never worry about running out of juice.  I have a LiPo volt meter which I've stopped using on receiver LiPo's as they never get anywhere near the low margin.