Building from scratch

M'lud

Forgive me if I have asked this ? before. I have built 5 kits, enjoyed it so much even the fiddly bits,I have immence patients.I wan t to build from a plan for novices., you see thats what I am an old doddery novice, who gets confused at times. You don t believe me? ask my wife I nearly put the dog in the fridge. I have seen many plans for sale but not for the novice. Do they tell me which woods to buy,maybe hints on how to contruct the plane, or do I buy a plan first then ask these ?s afterwards. It would be helpful to know a little more please thankyou Reg Ball PS Ilike rubber powered because of dreaded arthritis

Advert

Eric, as usual you re very helpful. Tell me please,When using a plan how does one convey a shape ie.ribs, and any shapes from a plan to the wood. Also how do you shape say seven ribs diminshing in size alomg a wing. These ?s would be answered from a book but I mdamned if I can find one that s suitable. any ideas please many thanks Reg Ball

Hi.  With regard to copying rib outlines etc from plan to wood.  I prefer to photocopy the plan using a very dark setting on the photocopier, then place the copy on the balsa face (copied side on the wood) then quit simply iron the image onto the wood.  The heat of the iron melts the toner on the copy and this sticks to the wood.  I find this method best with balsa but not very good with ply.  For ply I tend to use the Carbon paper process as previously described by Eric.

PS Be sure to clean the wife's iron before you put it back!!

Yep, this thread answers the identical question that I asked in the Building section.

Phew! I'm relieved that someone else has asked this as well as myself; I felt I might have asked something silly or very obvious!

I think I'll be using the carbon paper method.

Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hello. A learner myself who has been reading but done nothing yet!! I bought a while back a book called 'Aircraft workshop: Learn to make models that fly' by Kelvin Shacklock. The book seems quite good. It takes you from chuck gliders, (my son made that one, went well till it met the rabbit hutch...), right upto 1/5 scale Spitfires! The first model after the chuckies is a rubber powered Piper J-3. The plan is available to buy as well from X-List although it's in the book as well if your a demon with a photocopier and sellotape.....!! Happy Sanding!!!

The method I use on ply for formers is to make a copy of the plan, cut out the formers and tape them onto a ply blank. Cut and sand to the shape of the item and when the cut out falls off, (because you've sanded all the tape away), it's done. This would probably work for ribs too but they're easy enough to do using the sandwich method as Eric described above, although I do use it for making the ply templates.

Andy.

• 2 months later...